Burton Brewery

Burton Brewery

The Burton Brewery at the turn of the century.

The brewery was originally established by Mr George Ellis who was later to become a mayor of Hastings. It was located with an excellent access to water from two wells on site which are still in use today. “In 1908 the analysis of the water showed its chemical qualities to be specially adapted for the manufacture of beverages.”

Burton Brewery

Distribution in the 1930’s

In the 1930s beer was only distributed locally with the Burton Brewery being one of 70 breweries in New Zealand at the time. In the early 1940s the name of the brewery was changed to the Leopard Brewery to avoid confusion with the Burton Brewery in Palmerston North.

Burton Brewery

Burton Brewery laboratory

Burton Brewery

Dudley Newbigin, owner of Burton Brewery, talking on telephone in his office

Cups for horse hunting and show jumping on desk and windowsills
Photo of Dudley Newbigin’s father, Edward, on wall behind

Burton Brewery Building

Burton Brewery building, Leopard brand ale and stout, aerated waters and cordials, wines & spirits, Hastings, Hawke’s Bay District

Photo courtesy of –

http://natlib.govt.nz/records/29944392

Burton Brewery Building

Burton Brewery building – photo from Michael Fowler’s “Historic Hawke’s Bay” series published in Hawke’s Bay Today. Article entitled “Kind brewer really made his mark”

Shows water tower, and one Ford delivery truck and one Austin delivery truck on Ellison Road, Hastings

Burton Brewery Building

The Burton Brewery in 1931.

This photo taken immediately after the earthquake in February 1931 with the water tower standing in the foreground, Although the brewery suffered considerable damage production was soon able to be recommenced

Photograph courtesy of the Alexander Turnbul Library Reference number G100338  1/2

Burton Brewery Building

The Brewhouse 1957-1958

The original brewhouse built in 1895 of kauri and concrete and withstood the ravages of the 1931 earthquake. Several building modifications have taken place since, the major one occurring in the later 1950s when the Leopard Brewery was sold to Malaysian Breweries Limited, Singapore who expanded and modernised the plant and buildings.

Truck 1936

Brewery truck loaded up with soft drinks for parade, about 1936

Jo Bell (cordial maker) and Wynne(?) Appleby
Jack Walsh was the driver

Signs on truck –

“Phone 12”

“E. NEWBIGIN   BURTON BREWERY”

Truck

Brewery truck

Note beer cases on the back which contained 4 dozen bottles, 750ml in each

Driver Jack Walsh – 37 years at Dudley Newbigin’s brewery

Caption by Jim Newbigin

Sign on building behind truck –

“HAERE MAI!
WHISKY
BRANDY
GIN, PORT
SHERRY
LIQUEURS
ETC.

AERATED WATER
LEMONADE
SODA WATER
GINGER BEER
CORDIALS
ORANGE,

Truck

Burton Brewery truck

Sign on truck –

“Ask for Newbigin’s LEOPARD ORANGE CORDIAL
Real Juice”