Demolition of the brewer house of Leopard Brewery
Workers commented on the strength of the structure.
[Demolition occurred about April 2003 according to a newspaper article dated 2 April 2003 in Hawke’s Bay Today]
Buster Alexander, who started with the brewery on leaving school, 1955
The site of Leopard Brewery, Hastings St, Hastings.
The brewery was sited in Hastings Street and on the corner of Ellison Road and the corner with St Aubyn Street East. Phone number 4318.
The brewery was known as “Burton Brewery” in earlier days but was changed because of confusion with a brewery with a similar name in Palmerston North in the 1950s to “Leopard Brewery”.
In 1880 the site was under the name of Ellis,
Dismantling of soft drinks department at Leopard Brewery, 1950s
Roof of new soft drinks department at Leopard Brewery, 1950s
The Distribution Fleet in the 1960’s
During the 1960s the brewery distributed its product throughout New Zealand and achieved recognition as the first brewery in the country to can beer. In 1966 New Zealand Breweries bought a 50% shareholding in the company and the remaining 50% was purchased in 1982. Today the Hawkes Bay Brewery continues 110 years of brewing tradition on the Ellison Road site.
STAFF AT LEOPARD BREWERY ABOUT 1940
MIDDLE ROW ERIC APPLEBY 16 YEARS, HARRY AND TOM TOWNSEND 18 YEARS, FRED ? JACK WALSH 37 YEARS, JOE BELL 36 YEARS
FRONT ? JACK FENDALL 14 YEARS, DUDLEY, MISS SCOTT 10 YEARS
[NB “Years = number of years working at Leopard Breweries at time of photo”]
Filling Wooden Kegs in 1955
A variety of keg sizes were filled, including a pin (4.5 gallons), a firkin (9 gallons), a kilderkin (18 gallons), a hogshead (54 gallons) and a Butt (108 gallons). “Barrels” were also used (36 gallons) before the introduction of metric measurement. Volumes are now measured in hectolitres (100 litres, approximately 22 gallons).
Leopard Brewery truck