Field visit to observe laying a cable at Mr Mike Barnett’s property, Te Konini, River Rd, 5 March 1984 – Laying new power line from stockyards at
Te Konini Farm
Electricity Department repairing broken wires brought down by falling branches, April 1991
Central Hawke’s Bay Electric Power Board men installing electricity at Tawadale, 1955
A Fowler Marshall tractor used to lift the concrete power poles
Mokopeka Dam at Maraetotara with man, possibly a Chambers, standing in middle
From ITravelNZ website –
Site of the historic Havelock North hydro-electric power station, opened May 17 1922 with a 180cm high dam on top of Maraetotara Falls to give a 21.3 metre head of water.
An 0.91m diameter concrete pipe was used as a penstock to carry the water 640 metres to the power house downstream to drive a 250 b.h.p.
Substation at Havelock North connected to the Mokopeka Power Station on the Maraetotara River electricity supply
Transmission lines bringing power from the Mokopeka Power Station on the Maraetotara River to Havelock North, 1922-1937
During a flood in the Tukituki River in the 1920s, the pier in the centre of the river was damaged, and while helping to repair it a man was drowned – from “Havelock North – From Village to Borough 1860-1952” by SW Grant, page 94
Maraetototara Electric Power Board members and contractors
Dick Nimon in centre wearing bow tie, minister to his left
Mokopeka electric power station, Maraetotara