Mokopeka Dam at Maraetotara with man, possibly a Chambers, standing in middle
From ITravelNZ website –
Site of the historic Havelock North hydro-electric power station, opened May 17 1922 with a 180cm high dam on top of Maraetotara Falls to give a 21.3 metre head of water.
An 0.91m diameter concrete pipe was used as a penstock to carry the water 640 metres to the power house downstream to drive a 250 b.h.p.
Substation at Havelock North connected to the Mokopeka Power Station on the Maraetotara River electricity supply
Transmission lines bringing power from the Mokopeka Power Station on the Maraetotara River to Havelock North, 1922-1937
During a flood in the Tukituki River in the 1920s, the pier in the centre of the river was damaged, and while helping to repair it a man was drowned – from “Havelock North – From Village to Borough 1860-1952” by SW Grant, page 94
Mokopeka Homestead and farm, home of John and Kate Chambers
John Chambers died in 1946, aged 92
He had a new wing built on, comprising four bedrooms upstairs, drawing room and dining room.
Mokopeka Homestead – home of Mr and Mrs John Chambers and Irene Chambers, as well as Mr and Mrs Hugh Chambers
Two-storeyed extension with a car in front
Mokopeka Hydro-electric station, Maraetotara, Havelock North
1 – Plaque installed 1990
MOKOPEKA HYDRO-ELECTRIC STATION
IPENZ RECOGNISES THIS ENGINEERING WORK AS AN IMPORTANT PART OF N.Z.’S ENGINEERING HERITAGE.
A TRIBUTE TO ENGINEERING RESOURCE AND ENTERPRISE, IT IS PROBABLY THE OLDEST OPERATIONAL STATION IN THE WORLD
OWNERS: THE CHAMBERS FAMILY
DESIGNER AND CONSTRUCTION: JOHN CHAMBERS JNR.
2 – On rear of photo –
Mokopeka electric power station, Maraetotara