Waiwhare School

1924 Book

Cover of book presented to Helen Sheild (later Arthur) at the first Waiwhare School. This school was situated where David & Linda Ward’s house at Wrekin now stands. It was open from 1922 to 1925.

1924 Book

Inscription from book presented to Helen Sheild (later Arthur) at the first Waiwhare School. This school was situated where David & Linda Ward’s house at Wrekin now stands. It was open from 1922 to 1925.

Summary of an interview with Helen in 2002 –

Waiwhare School 1922

Helen Arthur attended the first Waiwhare School, which was held in a room off the verandah at the cookhouse on Waiwhare Station,

1924 Report

1924 examination report from the first Waiwhare School. This school was situated where David & Linda Ward’s house at Wrekin now stands. It was open from 1922 to 1925. Pupil mentioned is Patrick Ensor. The Ensors owned Waiwhare Station at the time.

1924 Report

1924 examination report from the first Waiwhare School. This school was situated where David & Linda Ward’s house at Wrekin now stands. It was open from 1922 to 1925. Pupils mentioned are Helen Sheild, Peter Sheild, Richard Ensor and Gwendoline Sheild. The Ensors owned Waiwhare Station at the time.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Buildings

The original school building was transported by truck from Waihau school in 1952. It was built in 1930 by the settlers of the Waihau district and was sited on WH Hartree’s property, “Ngaroto”.

1952 Children

These children were pupils at Otamauri School. The bus was driven by George Lowe who was headmaster at the time. He and the pupils transferred to Waiwhare School when it opened in 1952.

1952 George Lowe

George Lowe was the first principal of Waiwhare School. He was relieving teacher for 1952 until the appointment of Mr WK (Ken) Foster as permanent principal. He is seen here with Sir Edmund Hillary during a radio broadcast after arriving home from the Everest expedition of 1953. The photo is from “Voices in the Air” by Peter Downes and Peter Harcourt, 1976.

1953 Play

School play

1953 Play

School play – probably Ann Sheild, Dennis Goulding, Tim Sheild, Patsy Derbidge, Caroline Neill, Jane Sheild

1953 Play

School play

1955 School Photo

Brian Marshall to Marianne Fountaine in front row, left to right; Patsy Derbidge to Margie Arthur in back row

1955 School Photo

Back Row: Tony Drummond, Ross Lawrence, Jane Sheild, Daryl Marshall, Margie Arthur, Kevin Truman, Mr Ken Foster

Middle Row: Caroline Neill, Cathy Tough, Dennis Goulding, Alison Tough, Eric Goulding, Sue Sheild, Graham Lawrence, Ngaire Fountaine, Gillian Lawrence, Brian Marshall, Peter Kyle

Front Row: Michael Kyle, Michael Barnett, Lynn Richardson, Rocky Neill, Tony Richardson, Marianne Fountaine, Hilary Richardson, Belinda Sheild, Teresa Ward