Mokopeka Dam at Maraetotara with man, possibly a Chambers, standing in middle
From ITravelNZ website –
Site of the historic Havelock North hydro-electric power station, opened May 17 1922 with a 180cm high dam on top of Maraetotara Falls to give a 21.3 metre head of water.
An 0.91m diameter concrete pipe was used as a penstock to carry the water 640 metres to the power house downstream to drive a 250 b.h.p.
Slide caption – “Maraetotara Falls HB”
Maraetotara River and falls
Transmission lines bringing power from the Mokopeka Power Station on the Maraetotara River to Havelock North, 1922-1937
During a flood in the Tukituki River in the 1920s, the pier in the centre of the river was damaged, and while helping to repair it a man was drowned – from “Havelock North – From Village to Borough 1860-1952” by SW Grant, page 94