Subsequently be worked at Palmerston North and Wanganui West, and on returning to Hastings in 1926 he was instrumental in founding St. Barnabas’ Church, Parkvale, of which he was in charge until 1930, and with which he was in active association until his death. Mr. Hobbs, who was twice married, is survived by three sons and two daughters. The funeral service was conducted by the Bishop of Waiapu, the Rt. Rev. H. TV. Williams, and was attended by a large gathering of clergy and laity.
1932 November, William Nelson died aged 89, founder of Nelson Bros.’ freezing works at Tomoana and known as the “Father of Hawke’s Bay.” The late Mr Nelson was born in England. He left school at the age of 15, and four years later emigrated to New Zealand in company with his brother Mr F. Nelson. He arrived at Akaroa in 1862, and served in the Maori War. For some time he lived at Kereru, and in 1864 returned to England. In 1866 he began farming at Waipukurau, and in 1870 at Kereru. Until 1872 he was interested in flax milling at Mangateretere. Between 1872 and 1880 he was again in England. He built the Tomoana boiling-down works, and in 1883 started the Tomoana freezing works. He retired in 1920. He was a member and chairman’ of the Clive River Board and also served on various other local bodies. When the Free Association of Employers was formed after the 1890 strike, he was president for some years.
Nelson Park – was originally the school grounds for the Heretaunga School started in 1882 which closed early in the century and the school buildings were moved to Havelock North 1912 that later merged with a Wanganui School to form the Hereworth School in 1927. 1932, The old school grounds were decreed to be preserved for the sole purpose of physical recreation Park for the People of Hastings – which came under a Hastings Borough Council loan of £5.800 through the estate of Mr W. Nelson. A new Grandstand was built in the 1960’s. The old caretaker’s residence was demolished in June 1977 and an all-weather track installed March 1978 – facilities the Council had to protect and build high fences around which restricted public access and to utilise the facility – so not much was ever gained from this highly secured asset and alternative uses were not considered.
Nelson Park demolished – In 2007 the unscrupulous City Councillors claimed that it was costing lots of money to keep and were sucked-in by the corrupt big-businessmen the council sold-out to their constituents despite strong opposition from the Save Nelson Park Action Group. A Referendum was run, but less than half the citizens bothered to vote, the arrogant destructive council powered ahead to change the city’s bylaws so they could sell-off Nelson Park for a big warehouse store at further demise of the smaller main-street retailers! All the City Fathers turned in their graves! Later, the council spent the sale money on building a new city skateboard park over another historic area of King St nth and tarnished Mr Nelson’s good reputation by naming it after him. Progress cannot be heeded in Hastings, nothing is as it was – even the oldest wooden Albert Hotel was ground to a halt, sold off and eventually destroyed.
1932 December, Another bigger post-quake recovery carnival was organised to chase away the gloom with three days of Carnival celebrations – nightly processions of decorated floats, competitions and public entertainment – a mock court, a children’s fancy dress party and sports, a masked ball and highland dancing, a retailers Tug of War, with haka and Poi dances etc