Memorial Hospital New Ward Opening 1961

[Photo]

[Photo]

HAWKE’S BAY FALLEN SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HASTINGS

Official Opening

NEW WARD and ADMINISTRATION BLOCK

WEDNESDAY, 24th MAY, 1961

by
THE HON. N. L. SHELTON
MINISTER OF HEALTH

THE HAWKE’S BAY HOSPITAL BOARD

A Message from the Chairman

The Hawke’s Bay Fallen Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital is our memorial to the service men and women of this district who gave their lives for their country.  In its original design it was erected from funds subscribed by our own people who felt that no better Memorial could help us to remember their sacrifices.  This significance of the Memorial Hospital for the inhabitants of Hastings and the surrounding district will, I trust, never be lost.  The passing of the years coupled with the dramatic increase of population of this area has however, put a strain upon the wards and departments of the Hospital which they were never designed to take.  Nor could it be altered or extended to meet these added responsibilities.

A new concept was the result and we now see completed the first phase of a larger hospital which may in due time absorb much of the original structure.

Nothing can, however, displace the sentiment which brought the Memorial Hospital into being.  The Memorial Hospital is more than bricks and mortar.  Although changed, made larger and functionally more efficient it remains The Hawke’s Bay Fallen Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital.

The following pages tell the story of what this new structure will provide for our patients.  May all who need to enter it receive relief, help and comfort.  Let those who have the good fortune not to be numbered among our patients continue to maintain a cheerful kindly and helpful interest in the welfare of our patients and the institution because in a special sense it stands as a Memorial which we have erected in our midst, and shows the presence of grace and ennobling influences in the life of this community.  It is a worthy Memorial to that silent company whom we honour and who preserved a heritage for people born to be free.

W.E. BATE.
Chairman, Hawke’s Bay Hospital Board

THE HAWKE’S BAY HOSPITAL BOARD

COMPOSITION OF BOARD

Chairman:  MR. W. E. BATE, O.B.E.
Deputy Chairman:  MR. D. L. HOLT
Chairman Hastings General Purpose Committee: MR. R. A. NIMON.
Mesdames M. I. FIELD, A. ROBERTS, M.B.E., DR. R. H. BETTINGTON, DR. H. E. MOLLER, Messrs. H. W. DOWLING, R. E. BARLEY, M.B.E.

Principal Executives of Board:
Superintendent-in-Chief:
MR. J. R. GRIMOLDBY, M.Sc., M.B., Ch.B., F.R.C.S.

Lady Superintendent:
MISS I. H. HENDERSON, N.Z.R.N., R.M.N., P., P.G., Dpl.

Secretary:  MR. S. H. HARALDSEN, A.R.A.N.Z.

Principal Executive Officers – Memorial Hospital:

Assistant Medical Superintendent:
DR. L. W. BROUGHTON, M.B. Ch.B.

Matron
MISS E. M. HALL, N.Z.R.N., R.M.N., P., P.G., Dpl

Chief Clerk:  MR. M. CAMERON

VISITING MEDICAL STAFF – MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

PHYSICIANS:
DR. D. A. BALLANTYNE. M.B. CH.B., M.R.C.P., F.R.A.C.P
DR. M.I. BOSTOCK, M.A., M.B., CH.B., M.R.C.P. (LONDON) M.R.A.C.P.
DR. A. W. REEVE, M.B. CH.B. (EDINBURGH)
DR. A.V. KURTA, M.B., CH.B., M.R.C.P., M.R.A.C.P.

SURGEONS:
DR. J. M. TYLER, M.B., CH.B., F.R.C.S. F.R.A.C.S.
DR. S. R. YOUNG, M.B., CH.B., F.R.C.S. (ENGLAND)
DR. J. S. HOPKIRK, M.B., CH.B., F.R.C.S. (ENGLAND)

ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON:
MR. G. J. TAINE, M.B., CH.B., F.R.C.S. (ENGLAND), F.R.A.C.S.

EAR, EYE, NOSE AND THROAT SURGEON:
DR. E. J. VELVIN, M.B., CH.B., D.O. (SYDNEY)

OBSTETRICIAN:
DR. J. S. McVEIGH, M.B., CH.B., M.R.C.O.G. (ENGLAND)

FACIO-MAXILLARY SURGEON:
DR. A. C. WHYTE, B.D.S., L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S.

ANAESTHETISTS:
DR. H.E. MOLLER, M.B., CH.B.
DR. C. H. THOMSON, M.B., CH.B., D. (OBSTETRICS), R.C.O.G.
DR. N. WIMSETT, M.B., CH.B.
DR. E. P. SHILTON, M.B., CH.B.

DERMATOLOGIST:
DR. B. H. R. HILL, M.B., CH.B., D.D.M. (SYDNEY), F.A.C.A.

PSYCHIATRIST:
DR. D. W. ROWNTREE, M.B., CH.B., D.P.M. (ENGLAND)

RADIOLOGIST:
DR. C. D. COSTELLO M.B., CH.B., A.D.M.R. (LONDON), D.M.R., R.C.P. & S. (ENGLAND), F.R.C.A., F.F.R.

PATHOLOGISTS:
DR. R. C. TAYLOR, M.B., CH.B., D.C.P.
DR. R. R. LYCETTE, M.B., CH.B.

CHEST PHYSICIAN:
DR. R. S. R. FRANCIS, O.B.E., M.B., CH.B.

HONORARY CONSULTANT STAFF:

SURGEONS:
DR. D.A. BATHGATE, M.B., CH.B.
DR. C. G. R. WRIGHT, M.B., CH.B.
DR. E. Y. COMRIE, M.B., F.R.C.S. (EDINBURGH), F.R.A.C.S.

PHYSICIANS:
DR. A.D.S. WHYTE, M.B., CH.B., F.R.A.C.P., M.R.C.P., D.P.H.

MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, 1954…A COLLECTION OF BUILDINGS ADDED PIECEMEAL BY VIRTUE OF NECESSITY TO THE ORIGINAL STRUCTURE.  NEW BLOCK OCCUPIES SITE IN RIGHT FOREGROUND

Looking Back

In the early days of Hawke’s Bay, Napier was the undisputed “capital” of the province and Hastings was no more than a scattered collection of weatherboard houses straggling along a meandering “street” crossing the Heretaunga Plains. From the turn of the century, with the surrounding plains being brought into bountiful production, Hastings began to develop rapidly. At this time the majority of Hastings people requiring hospital attention had to be treated at Napier.

By 1905 there was a strong feeling in Hastings that the town should have its own hospital facilities, but no official move was made until 1910. On September 7 in that year the Mayoress, Mrs. J. A. Miller, convened a meeting to discuss establishing a cottage hospital at Hastings and also the holding of a hospital ball. It was stated that the upkeep of a four-bed hospital would be £500 to £600 a year. If £250 was subscribed locally, with the Government subsidy of 24/-, the total income would be £550. All Hastings doctors offered their services to the institution free.

Three times in 1911 the Board discussed the Hastings hospital project but nothing was accomplished. The cost of maintenance was concerning the Board. The Chairman, Mr. Shrimpton, said nurses’ salaries would be at least £300 a year. The Director- General of Health estimated them as high as £500 a year. The only ray of hope at that time for Hastings people was a notice of motion by the Chairman, “that the time has arrived for the establishment of a motor ambulance at Hastings.”

HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION FORMED

Two years later the Hastings hospital project was revived. The hospital levy of £820 demanded by the Hastings Borough Council stirred local people again to ask for their own hospital. On August 28, 1913, 40 people who met in the Hastings Municipal Chambers resolved that Hastings should have a cottage hospital. Hastings was “entirely dissatisfied with the state of affairs whereby urgent cases have to be sent to Napier.” An organisation known as the Hastings Hospital Association was formed.

Hastings people meanwhile were busy raising money with their eyes on the ultimate goal of a hospital of their own. Then the First World War intervened and the project was left to better days.

Came the influenza epidemic of 1918, the  establishment of special hospitals at the Hastings Racecourse and the Drill Hall, and the deaths of 59 local people from the disease. Hastings people felt more strongly than ever the need for a properly established local hospital.

Elected mayor of Hastings in May. 1919, Mr. George Ebbett wasted no time in coming to grips with

the project. After a year of protracted discussion and negotiation the Board approved the erection of a hospital at Hastings. The Board considered the cost of the land and buildings would be £20,000. The whole property and buildings must be a free gift to the Board, handed over without any encumbrance.

A MEMORIAL IS BORN

It was at this time that the suggestion was made that the new hospital be a memorial to those who had given their lives in the war. Thus was born the name of the Hawke’s Bay Fallen Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, Hastings. Given the Board’s blessing and a vital inspiration for their efforts, Hastings people bent their backs to the job of raising the necessary money.

On November 7, 1923, investments and cash in hand totalled £10,657-14-0. The present site had been purchased at a cost of £2796. Plans had been prepared and a Government subsidy of £9000 promised.

Many difficulties still lay ahead, but on August 27, 1924, the positions of the buildings were fixed and levels taken. It was not until early in 1927 that tenders were let and the contractors began work.

Years of unremitting effort had their climax on Anzac Day, 1928, when the new hospital was officially opened. The wards accommodated 20 patients, including seven maternity cases. A further 10 patients could be accommodated on sun porches and verandahs.

A member of the Board stated: “At long last Hastings has its own hospital. It has been designed on lavish lines to provide for the future. The facilities should be adequate for Hastings’ needs for at least 50 years.”

Little did the good member dream that the hard-won hospital would be hopelessly inadequate for the fast-growing population in less than a decade!

This, then, was briefly the story of the inception of Memorial Hospital. In the years since it has been greatly enlarged and further developed to cater for the needs of Hastings and district.

THE NEW BLOCK

The proposal to building a new block at Hastings dates back to 1950 when the Board resolved to seek authority to erect a ward block of 100 to 120 beds. In 1955 a loan of £660,000 was sanctioned, the  contractor began work in 1958, and the building was finished in 1960. The total cost was £618,000 for the building and fixed equipment and £55,000 for all other types of equipment.

Much of the detailed planning was ably handled by the Hastings Building Sub-Committee. The Board is indeed grateful to two of its former members, the late Robert Harding, a generous benefactor of the hospital, and Dr. E. Y. Comrie, who retired last year.

PROGRESS ON THE NEW BLOCK
UPPER RIGHT: JULY, 1958.
CENTRE: MAY, 1959.
LOWER: DECEMBER. 1960.

THE SPACIOUS MAIN ENTRANCE OF THE NEW BLOCK.

What the Block Comprises

The facilities provided in the new block are:

(a) Ward Block of 122 Surgical beds – comprising:
Ground floor with 32 for orthopaedic patients. First floor with 30 for men.
Second floor with 30 for women.
Third floor with 30 for women and children.
Fourth floor three theatres with provision for a fourth theatre.
The building is serviced by two lifts with provision for two additional lifts.

(b)  Administration and Services Block.
Basement – Engineering Services, Electrical switchboard and automatic telephone exchange.
Ground Floor – Office accommodation for Medical and Nursing Executives and Clerical Staff.
5th Floor – Accommodation for five House Surgeons.
Other Floors – Dispensary. Occupational Therapy, X-Ray and clinical photography, Medical Social Worker, District Nurses, School room.

UPPER RIGHT: A PATIENT IN A FOUR-BED CUBICLE IN A SURGICAL WARD.

LOWER LEFT: ALL SISTERS’ OFFICES ARE EQUIPPED WITH X-RAY VIEWING SCREENS.

LOWER RIGHT: BATHROOMS ARE SPACIOUS AND SCIENTIFICALLY PLANNED.

[Photos]

[Photo]

SPACIOUS CORRIDORS ARE A FEATURE OF THE BUILDING

EACH WARD IS WELL EQUIPPED AS AN INDEPENDENT UNIT FOR SERVING PATIENTS’ MEALS

DOMESTIC STAFF SERVE MEALS IN IDEAL CONDITIONS

PATIENTS ARE TENDED IN WELL-EQUIPPED DRESSING ROOMS ATTACHED TO EACH WARD

[Photo]

AN UNUSUAL VIEW UP ONE OF THE BLOCKS OF TWO STAIRCASES

EACH WARD HAS A SUNNY DAY-ROOM FOR PATIENTS

Additional Projects

Once authority was obtained to proceed with the planning of the new block it was necessary to provide additional and improved ancillary services. The Board embarked on the following projects:

1. New Boiler House, Coal bunker and two boilers, and mechanical services – completed at a cost of £75,150.

2. Additions to Tutorial Department – completed at a cost of £21,400.

3. Additional Nurses’ Home 85 beds – building operations commenced in October 1959 and this building should be commissioned in June next at a cost of £195,000 for the building and £11,000 for equipment.

4. Kitchen and Dining room – Nurses’ Home. Working drawings are being prepared and it is estimated that this building which will adjoin the Nurses’ New Home will be completed late next year, at an estimated cost of approximately £60,000.

5. New Bulk Store and Mortuary. This two storey building comprising accommodation for stores, linen, sewing and uniform room was  commenced in January 1960 and should be completed in June next. The cost will be £61,000.

6. Refuse Disposal Unit. This is in course of planning at an estimated cost of £3,000.

7. Road, paths and grounds layout – comprehensive plans are well under way for these services.

THE BLOCK HAS THREE OPERATING THEATRES.  EVENTUALLY FOUR WILL BE IN USE.

[Photos]

THE CENTRAL STERILE SUPPLY ROOM FOR WARDS AND THEATRES

THE SPACIOUS AUTOCLAVE ROOM

THE PHARMACY

AT WORK IN THE PATHOLOGY DEPARTMENT

SOME OF THE BLOCK’S MOST IMPORTANT EQUIPMENT IS IN THE BASEMENT.  ABOVE AND RIGHT ARE THE HEATING UNITS.

THE MASTER RADIO RECEIVING UNIT IN THE BASEMENT.  A CHOICE OF THREE PROGRAMMES IS “PIPED” TO PATIENTS.

Requirements of a Hospital

Running a hospital is a big business. Staff at Hastings total 365, a number which is steadily growing as various projects are conceived and completed.

The facilities at present provided for patients in the old hospital are 134 general beds and 46 maternity beds. Ancilliary services comprise Operating Theatre, X-Ray Department,  Laboratories, Physiotherapy and Outpatients’ Departments, a Dispensary, Hearing Aid Clinic and District Nurses’ Department.

As an indication of the demand on these services, the following figures relating to the year ended 31/3/61 are given:

Inpatients:
Number of Patients under treatment   2,659
Total average occupied beds   159.9
Operations performed   2,189

Maternity:
Number of babies born   1,044

X-Rays:
Number of examinations   8,912

Laboratory:
Number of tests   42,278

Physiotherapy:
Number of treatments   20,387
Outpatients attendances other than to Special Departments than   16,036

Some indication of the demands made on the commissary are given by these figures of annual consumption of food at the hospital:

15,300 pounds of butter
2,676 pounds of cheese
63,786 pounds of meat
22,820 pounds of sugar
23,995 gallons of milk

The Future of the Hospital

Consequent upon the accommodation provided in the new block, the following changes in the old hospital are being planned:

1.  Present Operating Theatre Suite to become X-Ray Department.
2.  Present X-Ray Department to enlarge existing Laboratory.
3.  Present Nurses’ Dining Room to become Staff Dining Room on Cafeteria system.
4.  Wards I and III (Surgical) to become Women’s Medical Wards.
5.  Ward II (Women’s Medical) to become Psychiatric Department.
6.  Present main entrance and part of administration block to become Memorial Chapel.
7.  Minor alterations to Children’s Ward and Maternity Unit.
8.  Present Hospital Store to become Carpenters Workshop and moved to new position.
9.  Minor alterations to Outpatients Department.
10. Additions to Physiotherapy Department.

Specialists Responsible for Planning, Supervision and Construction of New Ward and Administration Block

Architects:
MESSRS, DAVIES, PHILLIPS & CHAPLIN
Registered Architects, Hastings

Structural Engineers:
MESSRS. EDWARDS & CLENDON
Consulting Engineers, Wellington

Building Services Engineers:
GEORGE VAMOS & PARTNERS
Registered Engineers, Wellington

Site Investigation:
R.G. BRICKELL
Registered Engineer, Wellington

Quantity Surveyors:
ALAN E. POWRIE & ASSOCIATES,
Napier

Clerk of Works:
R.T. GRIFFIN
Hastings.

Firms Engaged on New Ward and Administration Block
Memorial Hospital, Hastings

General Contractors:
W. M. ANGUS LTD., Napier.

Joinery:
ANGUS JOINERY WORKS, Napier.

Reinforcing Steel:
H. B. REINFORCING STEEL CO LTD., Lower Hutt.

Excavation Work, Block AB:
J. FRASER AND SONS LTD., Hastings.

Excavation Work, Block A:
DRAGLINE AND EARTHWORKERS LTD., Hastings.

Drilling for Soil Investigations:
T. H. RICHARDSON & SONS, Palmerston North.

Lifts:
TOLLEY & SON LTD., Wellington.

Mechanical Services:
A. & T. BURT LTD., Palmerston North.

Electrical Installation:
DUDLEY S. LYNN LTD., Hastings.

Bricklaying:
FROST BRICKLAYING CO. LTD., Taita.

Drainlaying and Plumbing:
J. J. O’CONNOR LTD., Hastings.

Plastering, Block A:
CARRE BROTHERS, Wellington.

Plastering, Block AB:
FERGUSSON & BANKS, Napier.

Fibrous Plastering:
ALLEN MURRAY LTD., Napier.

Tiling:
L. GEE & SON, Rotorua.

Smith and Founder Work:
ENGINEERS & WELDERS LTD., Hastings

Metal Windows and Doors:
CRITTALL METAL WINDOWS (N.Z.) LTD., Auckland:

Lino and Cork Flooring:
WINSTONES LTD., Napier.

Terrazzo Work:
G. B. VIAN & SON, Hastings.

Accoustic Treatment:
FLETCHER CONSTRUCTION CO. LTD., Hastings.

Stainless Steel Fittings:
J. MERCER & SONS LTD., Christchurch.

Painting and Decorating:
TED LAXON & CO. LTD., Napier and Hastings.

Glazing:
SMITH & SMITH LTD., Hastings.

Suppliers of Equipment for the New Ward and Administration Block, Memorial Hospital, Hastings

ANAESTHETIC MACHINES and OXYGEN EQUIPMENT
N. Z. Industrial Gases Ltd.   Lower Hutt

BEDSIDE LOCKERS
J. Hannah   Napier

CARL ZEISS TWIN OPERATING LAMPS
Sonotone (N. Z.) Ltd.   Wellington

CROCKERY and CUTLERY
Gibsons & Paterson Ltd.   Wellington

CURTAINING
Sanderson Fabrics   Wellington

HOSPITAL BEDS and TUBULAR STEEL EQUIPMENT
J. & W. Faulkner Ltd.    Dunedin

INFRA RED LAMPS and DIATHERMY EQUIPMENT
Watson Victor Ltd.   Wellington

LINEN
Ross & Glendining Ltd.   Wellington

MATTRESSES
(Dunlop (N. Z.) Ltd.)   Hastings
(Skellerup Sales Ltd.)   Hastings

MULTI-TONE DOCTORS’ CALL SYSTEM
Watson Victor Ltd.   Wellington

OSMAN SHEETINGS and FURNISHINGS
C. A. Welch, representing Barlow and Jones,   Wellington

OVERBED TABLES, STOOLS, TROLLEYS,
Willgraeme Products Ltd.   Wanganui

OXYGEN TENTS
Early Brothers Surgical Appliances Ltd.   Wellington

PILLOWS
Auckland Mattress Co. Ltd.   New Lynn

PORTOVAC FLOOR POLISHERS
Levin & Co. Ltd.   Wellington

STAINLESS STEEL HOLLOW WARE
S. Aitchison Ltd. representing Taw Manufacturing Co. Ltd.   Christchurch
Dunedin Stainless Steel Co.   Dunedin
Oral Supplies Ltd.   Auckland

STERILISING EQUIPMENT, SINK and BENCH UNITS
J. Mercer & Sons Ltd.   Christchurch

SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS and APPLIANCES
Allen & Handburys N. Z. Ltd.   Wellington
Dental & Medical Supply Co. Ltd.   Wellington
Dominion Dental Supplies Ltd.   Wellington
Oral Supplies Ltd.   Auckland
Salmond & Spraggon Ltd. (representing C. F. Thackray Ltd.)   Wellington

TELLUS VACUUM CLEANERS
Hector Jones Electrical Co. Ltd.   Hastings

THEATRE TABLES
Allen &d Hanburys N. Z. Ltd.   Wellington

TUBULAR CHAIRS
J. Townshend & Co. Ltd.   Hastings

TUBULAR STEEL FURNITURE
Furniture & Woodware Ltd.   Hastings

WEIGHING SCALES
AVERY SCALES N. Z. Ltd.   Wellington

WHEEL CHAIRS
C. J. Williamson Ltd.   Christchurch

X-RAY FILM ILLUMINATORS
Kodak (N. Z.) Ltd.   Wellington

An Historic Day for Memorial Hospital

THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE ORIGINAL HOSPITAL ON ANZAC DAY, APRIL 25th, 1928.  THE LATE GEORGE EBBETT, WHO FOUGHT HARD FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A HASTINGS HOSPITAL, IS SPEAKING.

IN CONTRAST, THE CLEAN ARCHITECTURAL LINES OF THE NEW BLOCK PROVIDE A DRAMATIC NIGHT PHOTOGRAPH.

[Photo]

NURSES ON THE ENTRANCE STEPS, NEW BLOCK.

THE SPACIOUS WELL-PLANNED MAIN ENTRANCE

PHOTOGRAPHY, LAYOUT & TEXT BY RUSSELL ORR.

PRINTED BY HART PRINTING HOUSE LIMITED, HASTINGS

Original digital file

LeipstEI695_NewWard.pdf

People

  • W M Angus
  • Dr D A Ballantyne
  • R E Barley
  • W E Bate
  • Dr R H Bettington
  • Dr M I Bostock
  • R G Brickell
  • Dr L W Broughton
  • Dr E Y Comrie
  • Dr C D Costello
  • H W Dowling
  • George Ebbett
  • M I Field
  • Dr R S R Francis
  • J Fraser
  • R T Griffin
  • J R Grimoldby
  • Miss E M Hall
  • J Hannah
  • S H Haraldsen
  • Robert Harding
  • I H Henderson
  • Dr B H R Hill
  • D L Holt
  • Dr J S Hopkirk
  • Dr A V Kurta
  • Ted Laxon
  • Dr R R Lycette
  • Dudley S Lynn
  • Dr J S McVeigh
  • J Mercer
  • Mrs J A Miller
  • Dr H E Moller
  • Allen Murray
  • R A Nimon
  • J J O'Connor
  • Alan E Powrie
  • Dr A W Reeve
  • T H Richardson
  • A Roberts
  • Dr D W Rowntree
  • Honourable N L Shelton
  • Dr E P Shilton
  • Mr Shrimpton
  • Mr G J Taine
  • Dr R C Taylor
  • Dr C H Thomson
  • Dr J M Tyler
  • George Vamos
  • Dr E J Velvin
  • G B Vian
  • C A Welch
  • Dr A C Whyte
  • Dr A D S Whyte
  • Dr N Wimsett
  • Dr C G R Wright
  • Dr S R Young

Business

Hawke's Bay Fallen Soldiers' Memorial Hospital

Date published

24 May 1961

Format of the original

Magazine

Accession number

695/1807/40943

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.