St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
Original digital file
This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ).
Commercial UsePlease contact us for information about using this material commercially.
St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Market Street, Hastings, 1906-1979
Photo taken after the 1931 earthquake as the spire came down in the earthquake and wasn’t re-built
The church was designed by CT Natusch and built in wood on a cement base by JJ Payne to seat 266 at ground level and 108 in galleries. Opened 7 October 1906, it has a 105 foot spire which came down in the 1931 earthquake. Premier Richard J Seddon came to Hastings to lay the foundation stone.