Original digital file
This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ).
Commercial UsePlease contact us for information about using this material commercially.
Railway tracks on new wharf at The Spit, Napier
“June 1893: Although the official opening was still years away, work had progressed far enough for the new wharf to be used. It was a terrible day but the crowds came down to the wharf to see the first ship load its bizarre cargo – Fillis’s Circus and menagerie – in a roaring gale. All went well except for some trouble with a cage of lions…” – from “A Picture Book of Old Hawke’s Bay” by Kay Mooney and Margaret Henderson, 1984