150 YEARS AS A VILLAGE
First Community Trafﬁc Ofﬁcer Ray Kirkby appointed.
Substantial funding earmarked for new Community Centre.
Havelock North Post Office
Before the railway was routed through Hastings in 1874 Havelock North was an important staging post on the mail route between Napier and Waipukurau.
There were a number of postal stops established between 1855 and 1862 on rural blocks owned by early pioneers such as John Joll and the Chambers family.
Havelock North Post Ofﬁce, situated within in a general store, opened on July 1, 1862 and the first postmaster was John Bray.
When the railway opened mail was sent by train to Hastings and by coach to Havelock. It was after the introduction of the railway that the fortunes of the village waned.
In between 1879 and 1995 the mail service was increased from once to three times daily.
Telegraph facilities were added in 1884 and in 1885 the name changed from Havelock to Havelock North to differentiate it from Havelock in Marlborough. Later a money order department and a telephone bureau was set up.
In 1905, with business on the increase, Miss Driscoll was appointed as non-classiﬁed postmistress. The ofﬁce itself was in a separate area in the general store, and in 1908 she was made a permanent employee and given a small ofﬁce and home.
In 1914 a new post office was built at a cost of £1441 with the work ﬁnishing on June 25, 1914.
The post office closed down in 1997 and postal services were moved to Whittaker’s Pharmacy on the corner of Columba Way and Napier Road. The building was leased to St Luke’s Anglican Church and used as an op shop.
The building was then relocated to Havelock Road with the back half relocated to the side of the building.
It now operates as The Post Restaurant with original matai ﬂoors, skirting boards and some windows retained. The decor is sympathetic to the original theme and displays many relics of early New Zealand postal history.
Photo captions –
The Post Ofﬁce as it appeared in 1914.
– kindly supplied by Robyn Warren
2010 The Post Restaurant.
– kindly supplied by Paul Corlett
A TRIBUTE TO LEON CASH
(founder Lee James Footwear)
Shirley Cash has no doubt that her husband, and best friend, Leon Cash would have been keen to support this special publication but sadly he passed away on January 22, 2010.
Leon founded Lee James Footwear in 1979 and ran the business for almost 31 years. Lee Aison Shoes in Joll Road was also established by Leon.
Ill health prompted Leon to sell the business recently and the new owners took over on March 1.
Born in Hastings Leon took an after school job as a parcel boy at Hannahs which eventually led him on a career path specialising in footwear. Leon moved to Hannahs head office in Wellington and was the youngest manager ever appointed. He then became the footwear buyer for Hannahs New Zealand wide.
The couple returned to the Hawke’s Bay in 1978 and established Lee James Footwear in a new development in Middle Road. Many people mistakenly called Leon Mr James but he took it in his stride. In fact, Lee was short for Leon and James was a family name!
Throughout the years Leon got to know several generations of families including pupils at Iona and Woodford who returned many years later with their children.
Leon also established Shirley Shoes (named after his wife) in Havelock and later sold the name to his brother who transferred the store to Taupo.
He was an active member of the Havelock North Business Association for many years and helped promote the Village. He loved sports and completed the Coast to Coast, many marathons and a half Iron Man. Fishing at Lake Taupo was another favourite hobby of Leon’s.
Leon Cash is survived by his wife Shirley, son Darren, daughter Janine and three grand children.
THE POST NZ
by the Village Roundabout
2 Havelock Road
06 877 1714
Superb ambience, food & wine
Mains from $20
Open for dinner 5.30pm until late
Award winning wines hand crafted in Havelock North
OPEN 7 DAYS 10.00AM TO 5.00PM UNTIL EASTER
Celebrate our 15th vintage and 150 years of Havelock North with a 15% discount off your wine purchases. Does not include wines already at discount prices. To qualify please bring in a copy of this ad.
267 Te Mata Mangateretere Road, HAVELOCK NORTH
PH 877 2089 [www].askerne.co.nz