4 NIHO PAI
and hard food, and the avoidance of sticky sweets. He said that teeth were never intended for pap, and the only way to maintain their strength was to use them well.
After a most interesting address, in which he showed more than a mere acquaintance with dental matters, His Excellency concluded by wishing the Nurses every success in their work, both at the Training Clinic and in the field.
His Excellency sat down amidst hearty acclamation, and the ceremony ended when Mr. Saunders, on behalf of the Staff and the Nurses, thanked Their Excellencies for honouring the clinic with a visit.
Dental Nurses’ Experiences in the Hawke’s Bay Earthquake
Everyone has read of the tragedy in Hawkes Bay, and everyone’s sympathies are extended to the sufferers. Neither words nor pictures can describe the desolation; one has to see it to realise it, and even then one cannot grasp the awfulness of what must have happened to cause such colossal waste.
One of our first thoughts was for the safety of the Dental Nurses in the affected area, and Dental Nurses everywhere will be proud to learn how to Hawkes Bay Nurses not only upheld the honour of the Service, but added laurels to its reputation. Nurse Johnson and Nurse McPhee, of Hastings, in addition to receiving injuries of a more or less serious nature, were heavy losers of personal property, and for this alone they have the sympathy of every member of the Service.
The following reports speak for themselves: –
Waipukurau: At 10.45 a.m. on February 3rd, I was at work at the Waipawa sub-base. The patient was a boy aged ten, and I was preparing a cavity for filling.
The shock was very sudden. The patient jumped from the chair, made for the door, and lost no time in getting down the stairs and outside, but was nearly caught by the next building which collapsed into the street. The debris partially blocked the door, and when I arrived at the foot of the stairs, I was forced to remain in the doorway until it appeared safe to venture out. I located the patient, who still held the basin, and stayed with him until his parents claimed him at 2.30 p.m.
I then re-entered the clinic, placed the cabinet on the floor for safety, and after clearing the doorway, locked up and went home. The clinic was badly strained, as daylight was visible in several places, the chimney was down, and the gas heater thrown out into the room.