Family of William and Emily Foulds, The

The family
William and Emily

By: George Foulds

The family of William and Emily Foulds

By: George Foulds 2003

Page 2

William and Emily Foulds

1853-1898   1857-1916





Page 3

My work with genealogy started with a meeting with Betty Foulds – “What about doing a family tree?” “Yes”. “But where do we start?”

I did not know anything about the Foulds other than a few of them in Hawke’s Bay and the knowledge that my father was born in Lyttelton. So, one day a ring came from Betty to ask if I could come and meet some people who could help to get started. I immediately agreed. So off I went to Betty’s place to meet a few people I had not previously known. I was introduced to M. Foster, a cousin related to my father, and sitting in a corner of the room was a Lilly Baker, president of the Hawke’s Bay group of NZ Society of Geneologist.

It didn’t take me too long after a chat with Lilly [Lily] Baker, to make a visit to the Mormon Family History Library, whereupon Volna Boaler gve me a list of all my Uncles and Aunts. Then the next thing that happened was the arrival of an interesting letter from Aileen Edmunds of Mt Maunganui, inquiring as to any knowledge we may have had of the Foulds family of Hawke’s Bay, thus the start of the Foulds (Fowlds) family tree.

As I do not profess to have any literary capabilities and the anecdotes vary from family to family, I have chosen to present facts only, or what I have found through my probing. Making family history is fascinating, whichever form it takes ….. fascinating for the people creating it …… fascinating for the family itself and hopefully for others with kindred interest.

Although I have my thoughts in turmoil; through the writing of letters to this one and that to enable me to break throught the mystery of my ancestral heritage I could see the framework beginning to take shape, so decided to press on with the letter writing. I decided that writing is sometimes thrilling, sometimes frustrating, but not a dull aspect of this work. Some to whom I have written have been really responsible in writing back to me with as much information as they know of, which has spurred me on with a great delight and anticipation of more to come. However others have been incredibly unresponsive, even in the event of me taking great pains to make sure I had enclosed a SAE. Sometimes I had promises of actioning my enquiries, and different ones informing me that they would get onto my requests tomorrow but unfortunately “tomorrow” never comes.

Page 4

I would like to thank all of my relations in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and Cyril Towell for helping me with information from Keighley Skipton in West Yorkshire in UK and all of the Genealogy resources in New Zealand, especially the Canterbury Library in Christchurch.

I will endeavour to write a chapter on each family of William and Mary and more on lives of William and Emily. Please bear with me when I talk of three WILLIAMS at times, thus WILLIAM MARY, WILLIAM EMILY, and WILLIAM CHARLES.

The first chapter being of the early life of Foulds or Fowlds in Keighley, who came to New Zealand: and William 1st and his marriage to his first wife, Ann Walton, and their child Harriett. Ann had a child of her own, Mary Ann Walton, and the lives of Richard and Harriet Seed.

You will also take note that the spelling of Foulds to Fowlds changes many times, mainly of how it was pronounced and once in Christchurch by deed poll.

Page 5

Chapter 1.

John Fowlds, born about 1770 married Martha Taylor. They had a family of 5 boys and 3 girls — of which only three of them lived into their teens and beyond. His eldest, Jeremiah, born 12.01.1795 met Judith Heaps, born 3.09.1795, married on 3.10.1814, and had a girl baptised Martha, born 3.10.1816 and she married a Whitaker Clough born in 1815, married in 1843, and died 1899. A daughter of theirs, Mary, born 1835 came to New Zealand, and married a John Firth in 1869.

I wrote to a descendant of this family, Mrs Elisabeth Mounce in Howick in Auckland and it now appears that John Fowlds wife Martha had died and John remarried a Mrs Olive Greenwood on 29.03.1815. Their children were Jeffrey born in 1816, Martha born 1817, and a William. William and Martha were baptised 9.03.1819. So, was William born in 1818 or was he a twin of Martha? It appears to me that this is the William that came to New Zealand. The Keighley Parish Church puts their occupation as a cordwainer (leather worker). I am hoping that I might be able to trace further back for information of John Fowlds family with the help of my friend in the UK, Cyril Towell.

Nothing is known of what William did or if he still lived around Keighley until he applied to come to New Zealand from the Register of Emigrant Labour 1839 applying for a free passage. An application was made to James Jackson, Land Purchaser for WILLIAM FOULDS, farm labourer and gardener, single, aged 21 from Chellow Grange Bradford, near Keighley. So William was on his way to New Zealand on The Oriental Barque of 506 tons commanded by Captain William Wilson with Dr I Fitzgerald as Surgeon Superintendent.

The Oriental sailed from Gravesend on 15.09.1839 and arrived at Port Nicholdson on the 31.O1.1840. The Oriental is one of the four ships which are very much part of the celebrations of Wellington’s Anniversary Day. The other ships, Aurora 1st and the Duke of Roxburgh 7th Feb and Bengal Merchant 21st Feb all have pride of place in the memories of our ancestors. These four ships are very much part of the celebrations commemorating the 22.01.1840, the actual day Aurora arrived, hence all these ships landing

Page 6

at Petone and the Hutt. Thus we have on the foreshore at Petone, their Museum. Inside, you’ll find a plaque with the names of those earlier settlers which includes William Foulds.

Nothing is known of the activities of William after his arrival but it has been recorded that on the 16.04.1840 he was married by the Rev McFarlane to Ann Walton, the third daughter of Mr William Walton from Morrfield, Yorkshire. Ann was also a passenger on the Oriental with her daughter, Mary Ann, aged about 18 months. By this time they must have found their way from Petone to Thornton or Kaiwharawhara. No road, so it must have been by boat. From the Turnbull Library NZ Gazette, 1840 I came upon an advertisement which reads: Mrs A Foulds begs to inform the ladies of Port Nicholson that she has just received an extensive assortment of Tussan and Dunstable straw bonnets in every variety and shape, together with an assortment of Ribbons and Trimmings etc…, N.B. Ladies Bonnets made to order, also cleaned and altered Adelaide Terrace near the bank “Britannia”. Ann was a dressmaker by trade. In the year of 1841… I can’t find out exactly what happened but Ann died… A child was born… So it must have been the early part of 1841 that Ann died. No records show of her death or that of the birth of Harriet Foulds. Recording of births, deaths, and marriages was not compulsory in the early 1850’s in New Zealand. What is known though, is that 1400 graves were removed with unknown names from the Boulton Street cemetery when the authorities put that part of the motorway through it. Now… who looked after Harriet and Ann? We must go back to the Oriental where it is recorded that on that voyage there was a Richard and Harriet Seed as passengers who were also the aunt and uncle to Mary Ann, therefore it must have been that Harriet and Anne were sisters. And now I will continue to explain the next happenings as I see them.

Having read the book, “Tawa Flat and The Old Porirua Road,” by A. Cameron, I have learned more of the lives of the “Seeds”. A letter dated 24 October 1841 appeared in the NZ Journal of 16 April 1842 states… Colonel Wakefield had made two roads; one a very good one from his place to “Petoni” (Petone) and the other from Kai-Warra to Porirua thus became the

Page 7

“Old Porirua Road”. The famous half-way house built on section 23 was a large boarding house of two stories, settled in 1843, and next door to it Richard Seed purchased 31 acres for the amount of 71 pounds as well as 5 acres from Robinson and 4 acres from Hinchcliffe, being a part of section 24 on the 16 January 1843. Richard Seed was called for Jury Services in 1844, his address being Porirua Road. Richard and Harriet Seed were a childless couple and Richard left New Zealand for Bendigo gold fields whereupon he became ill and a Mr Tom Broderick offered to pay his fare back to New Zealand when he was well enough to travel, but unfortunately he died there, penniless, on the 22 January 1853. Harriet remarried to a Mr George Brown on 2.03.1854 and 43 acres of land was transferred to him. Mary Ann Walton-Seed was a Crown Witness of John Branks murder trial (on Porirua Road). Maro Maroro was found to be guilty and paid the price on 13.04.1849.

Now back to the end of 1841

William was watching the boat “Gertrude” at Kaiwharawhara and he saw a girl. Right at that very minute he had made up his mind that she was to be the one he would marry. She must have made a tremendous impression on him… the young girl being Mary Lingard… and yes they did get married on the 4th day of August 1842. Indeed, I have a copy of their marriage certificate. So with the arrival of old John and Grace Lingard and their family of John, James, Benjamin and Mary, aged l9 more Lingards arrived later on, on the “Kathern Stewart Forbes”. l have met Louise Laws who lives in Lower Hutt and she is busy working on the Lingard family history and tree. Louise is a James Lingard descendant. Before I go into the William and Mary Foulds family I will have a paragraph on William and Ann’s daughter, Harriet Foulds.

Harriet was born somewhere about the time of her mother’s death… sometime about mid way through 1841. l have not been able to find out who looked after Harriet but I presume it was her aunt, Harriet Seed, until 1849. That is the time when all Fowlds/Foulds, John and Grace Lingard all decided to leave Wellington and move to a more productive and safer

Page 8

place. They settled in Lyttelton. So Harriet grew up and married a James Campbell. Harriet and James were married in the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Lyttelton on the 6th April 1861 and their first child was born, namely Mary Campbell, on the 28 May 1862 and then Elizabeth Campbell on the 26 January 1864, and then a son William born on the 1 July 1866 and died on the 1 October 1866. Harriet died tragically on the 30 May 1868 while in a fit. Both she and her son William, born 31 December 1867 were burned to death in a house fire. I wrote to the New Zealand General’s Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages for a death certificate but none was recorded. I have done a little research for Campbells – so far I have not had a reply to enquiries.

Now perhaps a little on the early life of Mary-Ann Walton. I presume it must have been her Aunt Harriet who looked after her. As I have said before Harriet and Richard Seed, Ann Walton, and William Foulds were passengers on the “Oriental”. Ann died, William remarried, then in 1849 (that’s the year all the Foulds and Lingards, including Harriet Foulds (Ann’s girl)), all departed to Lyttelton. So Mary-Ann must have lived with the Seeds next door to what was known as the half-way house on the Old Porirua Road. The Seeds were a childless couple so Mary-Ann must have been like a daughter for them. When Richard Seed died in 1853 Mary-Ann was about 15 years old. Then Harriet remarried. I have not found out what Mary-Ann did for the next 15 years. Continuing from the book by A. Carman, “Tawa Flat and the Old Porirua Road”, Mary-Ann married a Gordon Baillie, who arrived in New Zealand on the “Ann Wilson” in 1855. His trade was a bookseller, of Wellington. Married Mary-Ann Walton at Taukerenikau [Tauherenikau] on the 4 January 1859, being the sixth marriage in the Wairarapa. On their wedding certificate it gave his profession as a farmer, and Mary-Ann’s surname as Walton-Seed. A son was born, Herbert Baillie, who was to become the librarian of the public library in Wellington. He retired in 1928 and died in 1942.

Page 9

It would be interesting to find more on the life of Gordon and Mary Baillie and their son, Herbert Baillie.

So to reading two books. One, the “History of Carterton” and the other, “Wairarapa”, both written by A. G. Bagnell [Bagnall]. I only found a William Baillie had a sawmill at “Waipawi” with an annual output of timber of 1-200-000 ft. and employed l9 men and 30 bullocks. Also in the same area lived the Vicar who married Mary-Ann Gordon Baillie, the Rev William Ronaldson whose headquarters was at Greytown. He arrived in 1857 and was associated with the Church School of St Thomas College until it closed in 1866. After 12 years of hardship and much frustration he was glad of the transfer to Motueka in 1869. So in those days the area of Waipawai and the sawmill must have been a very small settlement where the Baillie’s lived – somewhere between Greytown and Masterton.

Also I have researched the book “Wairarapa” by AG. Bagnell and I write this little paragraph:

“Beyond the last tidal point to the south of Muritai the track as Tiffen mentions led up a gully called by “Mathews” Karaka Gully to a ridge known over a century ago as Rhodes Hill because until 1848 the coastal spur north of Pencarrow were owned and leased by a Captain W.B. Rhodes as a cattle run. Rhodes first manager was a William Foulds, who was followed by W.H. Donald. It was Donald who carried the Rhodes flag in 1848 to the northwest most station in the Wairarapa “Manaia”. For nearly a century Rhodes Hill has been known as Mount Cameron.”

Page 10


M. 17.10.1791

M. 29.3.1815

Jeffery B. 1816
Martha B. 1817
William B. 1818

B. 1818
D. 3.10.1876

D. 1841
M. 6.4.1840

B. 2.5.1823
D. 20.2.1898
M. 4.8.1842

B. 1841
D. 30.5.1868
M. 6.4.1861

B. 8.6.1843
D. 8.6.1910
M. (never married)

B. 1.7.1844
D. 31.7.1908
M. 18.3.1867

(Mother Ann)

B. 29.8.1843
D. 16.12.1931

B. 1845
D. 7.10.1927
M. 18.4.1864

B. 8.8.1846
D. 1848

B. 20.2.1848
D. 13.4.1933
M. 6.4.1867

B. 27.9.1840
D. 3.1.1925

B. 1840
D. 28.3.1923

B. 18.7.1842
D. 1932
M. 23.12.1867

B. 31.10.1851
D. 12.10.1937
M. 19.4.1880

B. 9.2.1853
D. 2.8.1898
M. 21.6.1876

B. 1841
D. 1934

B. 4.6.1846
D. 8.9.1920

B. 22.10.1857
D. 2.12.1916

B. 11.1.1856
M. 16.12.1878

B. 1858 (not reg.)
D. 29.10.1926

B. 19.8.1859
M. 7.7.1876

B. 1852
D. 22.9.1941

B. 1858

B. 4.7.1862
D. 25.7.1939

B. 1866
D. 18.10.1921

[No page 11]

Page 12

WILLIAM FOULDS was born in Lyttelton on the 9 February 1853. I have not found out much about his early life. I presume he was just a labourer, possibly worked on the land, road making or on the wharf. William grew up there and married. The first of 5 children were born in Lyttelton before all the Beazley’s and the Fould’s moved to Hawke’s Bay in 1885. William married Emily Beazley in the Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Lyttelton on 21 June 1876. Emily’s parents, John and Eliza Beazley (nee Marsh) arrived in New Zealand on the vessel Joseph Fletcher in 1885. They had 5 children, all born in Lyttelton, Emily being the eldest B. 3 June 1857, Isobella B. 1859 married George Parkinson in 1881, John Henry Beazley B. 1861 married Eliza Middleton in I904, Charles Edwin Beazley B. 1862 married Catherine Dixon in 1885. Charles was the produce buyer in Speights Breweries in Dunedin. I have contacts with a Ron, and his wife Rachel Beazley, a grandson of Charles Beazley who is now retired and lives in Tokoroa. Noeline Krebbs [Krebs?], a grand daughter of John Beazley lives just over the track from us in Usherwood Crescent in Hastings. Clara Beazley B. 1886 lost her life due to shock and exhaustion believed to be when her clothes caught fire from a woodburning copper in 1887.

Eliza Beazley died in Christchurch in 1871 aged 41 years leaving the 5 children to be brought up in an orphanage. It is believed the reason for the Beazley and the Foulds families moving to Hawke’s Bay was work related and the prospects looked GOOD in the bush and the sawmilling industry.

At Hampden (now Tikokino) Louisa and Arthur Foulds were born then there was another move to Heavitree which is along the Makarora Road from State Highway 50. Heavitree was a part of the Holden estate. Annie, Elsie, George and Amy were born at Heavitree. It was at Heavitree that Elsie was drowned in a family water well and is buried nearby. In the road works (pick and shovel) in the making of Foulds Road Cutting (now Boyles Cutting) – that is where Louisa was last seen. You will note that the photo used in the Family Tree was taken at Heavitree. I was able to add Albert and Edith to the family photo.

Page 13

About 1890 William and Emily took up “Block 13” of the Wakarara Survey District on the North Block Road. The farm was called “Glenwood” or “Bidibid” farm. A house was built and eight years later William was drowned trying to cross the near flooded Makarora river near the corner of Wakarara and Makarora Roads. His daughter Ellen was left helpless to witness this accident, other than to raise the alarm. His body was never found and there is no mention of his name on the Foulds family grave just inside the gate of Waipawa Hedley Cemetery.

A news item in the Waipawa Mail states that a concert was held in the Tikokino Hall and the sum of 10 pounds was given to Emily. After the death of William the farm carried on with the help of the neighbour Henry Dorreen. Henry and Emily married in 1901 and a son was born to this union, Charles Henry Dorreen B. 30 October l901. Emily died on 2 December 1916 and is buried in the Waipawa Hedley Cemetery.

So “Glenwood” and “Brentwood” (Dorreen) were farmed as one until 1912 and then taken over or transferred to William Charles Foulds (my father). Emily and Henry Dorreen then bought “Rangihou” on Roods Road, Onga Onga. William Charles Foulds farmed “Glenwood” for the next 38 years and sold to Mr Doug Cullen who farmed there until he died and his son William Cullen took over and farmed there until 1998. Bill Cullen sold the farm to Mr Guy Bell, Otane, a son of Mr Robin Bell in October 1998. And the old house of William and Emily came with Bill and Louise to their new place at Paki Paki near Hastings where it is going to be renovated and can easily be viewed from the main road, State Highway 2.

There are no records of the death of William Foulds. In those early days a Jury Trial was held if they had the body. No body, no inquest. There is an inquest for Elise Catherine Foulds of which I have a copy. So in the next chapters I will write on each of my AUNTS and UNCLES and on how I found them.

Page 14

ALBERT WILLIAM FOULDS – The first born son of William and Emily B. 18 March 1877 at Lyttelton. He came to Hawke’s Bay with [his] parents as a young man. Early in his twenties he volunteered for the Boer War in South Africa and was accepted. While in South Africa he met Marie Ankiewcz and they married in Pretoria on the 13 November 19O1. Before returning to New Zealand Constance was born 5 October 1902. Returning after the war to Tikokino, Albert and Marie had a large family of l6, l0 boys and 6 girls. Albert was a very good keen carpenter, and did a lot of work for people in the district including building my father’s woolshed. As well, he built his own house at Tikokino which was later destroyed by fire.

Of his family I have only met two of them. Richard (Dick) and Kathleen. While in the Army and in Syria in 1942 I was posted to the 5th Field Regiment for a time. The Officer in charge mentioned that there was a “Foulds” a cook in the Battery. “Any relation”. “Don’t know”. We duly met and after a discussion we worked it out that we were first cousins. After the war we did meet again. Dick had married again. Dick and Edith with their son Les, while on holiday in Napier called on us and we enjoyed their company a lot. A few years later while we were on holiday in Auckland it was nice to catch up with them again. By now Les had married Maureen and was living at Tokomaru (Palmerston North). Today Les and Maureen live with their two children in Hamilton. Les’s time is spent as a professor at Waikato University. On our many holidays in Rotorua we called in and spent a bit of time with Arch and Kathleen Collier and their two daughters. Today Kay and Robyn both live in Canada. Paul Collier lives in Austria. I did hear from Kay and Robyn when they came to see Dad just before he died in 1996. Once in Wellington I did find a Bruce Foulds, a son of Archibald Foulds. Dan Rumbal and family, when on holiday in Northland, did find Constance and James running a camping ground near the river in Dargaville. I did have the pleasure of meeting one of Ernest Foulds grand daughters and catching up on that family. Linda Brett, whose husband Philip Bain was a bank officer earlier in Palmerston North, and lives in Auckland.

Page 15

At Christmas time each year I hear from Trevor West in Calgary, in Canada. Trevor’s brother John also lives in Canada.

Albert and Marie and family moved from Tikokino to Northland for a time before going back to Hamilton, where Albert accepted work on the New Zealand Railways at Frankton. Albert died in Hamilton in 1951 and Marie in Auckland 1960. At the end of 1992, Constance, Elsie, Olga and Gladys were still living in Auckland and Alan in Whangamata.

EDITH MARY FOULDS – Edith was born in Lyttelton 22 April 1879, the second child and the first daughter and came with her parents to Hawke’s Bay. Edith married John Thomas Rumbal at the Anglican Church in Waipawa on 11 May 1897 and 65 years later they celebrated their Platinum wedding.

With the death of John 2 years later, came the end of 67 years together. With my wife Rose we both enjoyed their wedding anniversaries, the 50th, 60th, 65th celebrations in Otane. I will never forget the Vicar of St James in Otane escorting this couple into the church for that day of “Thanksgiving”, their 65th anniversary. A very moving scene indeed. They both lived into their nineties. John’s early life was milking cows 7 days

Photo caption – John and Edith Rumbal with Ernest, c1910.

Page 16

a week for 2 shillings and sixpence a week. Their life was in Clevedon (where John was born) before returning to Central Hawke’s Bay. Back in Central Hawke’s Bay he was very closely associated with timber mills and his bullock team was a very familiar sight at Carson’s timber mill at Wakarara. And to the quieter life in Otane where they lived for over 50 years. For many years they had the mail run to Kairakau Beach and a lot of time was spent gathering Agar-Agar for the local market. Of their sporting interests, Uncle was a noted gun man and Aunty was known for the love of her garden and cooking. For many years they enjoyed their trips to Taupo and a weekend trip would go something like this. Leave Otane Thursday morning, arrive in Waitahunui or Hallets Bay by night fall, establish camp, start fishing rightaway. They only came out of the water to eat and sleep a little, and left on Monday morning for home. Tiddlers under 10 pounds were returned to the water. At Waitahanui all fish were buried deep in the sand just to keep the wild pigs at bay. Edith was known to her family as “Gran”. In their later years they had many callers and one was always sure of a good cup of tea and one or more of “Grans” speciality, which everyone enjoyed, those “sugar buns”.

Photo caption – Arthur James Foulds

Photo caption – Dick and George Foulds (cousins) at Maadi Camp, Cairo, 1943.

Page 17

Their daughter Emily, known as Dot, married Wilfred Hicks. In their early life they started out farming and had a family of 3 sons, Wilfred, Leslie and Lewis. After the death of Wilfred in 1942 Dot, Wilfred and Leslie became interested and known in Central Hawke’s Bay for their mobile travelling movie picture shows. They had a truck with all the movie equipment and called into these country town halls, unpacked the projector, plugged into the power points, set up and screen and away went the film. However this lifestyle faded with the introduction of TV and videos. Today Leslie, although retired, still keeps his hand in the modern projector in the cinemas in Hastings and Napier, and lives in Hastings. Son Wilfred worked for many years in the NZ Railways in Hastings. Lewis went dairy farming at Wahoroa near Matamata.

John and Edith’s second son Daniel Charles married Una Vesty. Daniel’s occupation was a farm manager and he managed several farms in the

Tikokino and Wakarara areas before settling in Waipukurau where he also worked for a number of years with the Waipukurau Borough Council before retiring to live in Swansea Village, Flaxmere in Hastings. I do know his son and four daughters. Noel lived in Alice Springs, he passed away 13.09.1998, Vilma lives in Waipukurau and Ngaire in Napier. Delaine lived in Dannevirke, passing away 13.10.1999 and Christine in Auckland. Daniel lived to the great age of 95 years, he left us 13.07.1997.

Photo caption – Daniel and Una Rumbal, Swansea Village, Hastings, 1980

Page 18

In the Alfred Lenard family I have only met Raewyn and her daughters Kerry and Lynne, and Elsie and Hector Spargo at Dot Hicks residence in Hastings. It is possible that I have met many more at John and Edith’s unforgettable celebration in the 1947-57-62 functions.

Ernest Leslie died from a motor bike accident in 1921.

ELLEN ELIZABETH FOULDS – Second to eldest daughter of William and Emily Foulds, also born in Lyttelton on 4 April 1881 and came to Hawke’s Bay with her parents. Albert, Edith and Ellen were at the Tikokino School in 1886. Ellen married Albert Bertram Rumbal at Waipawa on 24 December 1901. I wish to point out the two Foulds girls (sisters) married two Rumbals (brothers). So Albert and Ellen took off on a farming career on the corner of Matherson [Matheson] Road and State Highway 50 and there they raised their family of 4 boys and 3 girls. Uncle Albert had many interests in Tikokino. He was a member of the Gun Club and with his brother John were classed as excellent gun “shots”. In 1903-4 he played cricket with the Tikokino Mill Club. With his family they were very devoted members of the Manchester Unity Oddfellows Lodge. After Bert died in 1950, Oswald, the youngest son carried on with the farm.

Of the family, Albert Leach, lived in Tikokino all his life, and was considered brilliant tinkering around with motors that would not start – when a mechanic failed. John, a son not married, lives in their family house in Holden Street in Tikokino. Florence Rumbal married Jim Bullock and they

Photo caption – William Charles Foulds at Otane, 1951

Page 19

also lived and farmed in Matherson Road. Jim and Florence both worked very hard to clear their farm of scrub and Jim also built their first home and wool shed. In their later life the farm was sold and they retired to Taradale. Florence was a very keen Conchologist (collector of shells) and had a great interest in the family history and in particular telling me about our Aunt Louisa Ann Foulds who disappeared (refer to Louise later).

Muriel Rumbal married Tom Chesterman at St James Church in Otane in 1933 and sixty years later they celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary with their family at Havelock North, and five years later at Gracelands Retirement Village in Hastings they quietly celebrated their Platinum Wedding Anniversary. They started the most successful “Koanui Hereford Polled Stud” and their son Fred carried on. Then Muriel and Tom retired to town. Eight years later they returned to farming again on “Horiana Downs”, for the next 20 years then to retirement again. John now farms “Horiana Downs”. Muriel and Tom retired to Tokomaru Drive in Havelock North. After two years that was not “right” so back to another block at Waimarama of 112 hectares where Muriel still had her own herd of cattle. Both Muriel and Tom say “Farming – that’s the good life!”. And finally Muriel and Tom are now at Gracelands Retirement Village.

Photo caption – Tom and Murial [Muriel] Chesterman, their 65th Wedding Anniversary

Page 20

Stan Rumbal married Ada Jones. Stan was a very successful farmer, both in dairying and sheep. Returning to New Zealand from WW2 service Stan was successful in a ballot to draw a farm of 355 acres from a crown purchase from the estate of E. G. Rathbone and selling to go and try farming in Northland and retiring to Maungatapu near Tauranga. His son Philip is interested in genealogy and is busy researching the Rumbal family tree.

Oswald Rumbal married Maureen Hall and continued to farm the family farm on the corner of Matherson Road and State Highway 50. Known as Ossie, he worked in that particular area all his life. Maureen later became a very well known and respected school teacher at the Tikokino School for many years. Their son David lives on the farm and has established a tree nursery which is becoming well known as “Rumbal Tree Nursery”.

Volna Rumbal married Henry Boaler in 1952 and they made their home on a small farm on the Te Aute Road near Havelock North, where they grew fruit, berries and Volna had a few cows. The love of the land was her main interest and she was a Land Girl in the War years and later had many interests in many organisations in Havelock North. Harry worked with bees and was involved in the Scout Movement for many years. Their family all live nearby in the Havelock North area.

WILLIAM CHARLES FOULDS – Born 3 February 1883 was the fourth child and the second son of William and Emily. He was born at Lyttelton and came with his parents to Hampden, Hawke’s Bay. He went to the Hampden and Wakarara Schools. He married Maggie Emma Waldrom in 1919 and had a family of two, myself and my younger sister Elsie. William was aged 15 when his father drowned and he finished school about this then, then he must have become the main stay of the family. Henry Dorreen became his stepfather and his mother had a new baby – number 12 – Charles Dorreen. William Charles and Henry Dorreen managed both “Brentwood” of 434 acres and “Glenwood” of 402 acres and lived at “Glenwood” and continued to work hard clearing the land of trees and stumps. They had many ups and

Page 21

downs with fires which became out of control when the wind would start suddenly and rekindle them. In 1912 Emily and Henry Dorreen transferred “Glenwood” and “Brentwood” to William Charles Foulds before going to live at “Rangihou”, Roods Road, Onga Onga. So between the years of 1912 to 1919 that must have been William’s batchelor years. Emily died in 1916 and William Charles married in 1919.

When I was about 3 years old and Elsie 2 years my mother walked out and left my father to “it”. Then my mother and Grandmother Waldron [Waldrom] made a home in Otane for a short time before coming to Hastings in October 1924. Later William Charles one day at the Tikokino Hotel found a person looking for work as a housekeeper. That was Mrs Georgina Gregory who remained with him until he died in 1952.

Photo caption – Mr and Mrs JT Rumbal’s 65th Wedding Anniversary at Otane, 11 May 1962.

Page 22

My mother never told me anything about William Charles until one day I read in the local newspaper that an aeroplane had crashed in the Ruahine Ranges (Hamish Armstrong) and that a Mr W. C. Foulds farm was used for Base search work. I asked this question who he might be. “Yes that’s your father.” I now knew I had a living father. Then my Aunty Waldron [Waldrom]’s used to let “bits” go, like “your father has a new housekeeper”. “He’s built a new house.” “He’s brought a new motor car.”

At the end of my twentieth year I was destined for the Army. While home on final leave in early 1941, my employer Mr Tom King who knew all about the “Foulds” asked me if I was going to see my father. I said “NO”. Then with his help I did. I was able to borrow a car and Tom told a good story to the Post Office for some rationed petrol coupons. So I found my way up to the North Block Road. I found the place, knocked on the door, it was opened by a stoutish lady. Then I was greeted by her words “Where in the bloody hell have you been? It’s about time you showed up”. The “Old Boy” nearly “bowled” her at the door to see who was there. Mrs Gregory recognised me from a previous meeting outside our place in Southampton Street a few weeks after the 1931 earthquake when she came along to see if we were alright. I was never told who this person was, just remembered this lady.

Photo caption – Albert Foulds Grand Daughters.
Kaye McCulloch (nee Collier), Gladys Witchell (nee Bate, Robyn Thomson (nee Collier).

Page 23


I’m Billy Gillooly from “Bidi Bidi Farm”
Quoted an old time farmer who did no harm.
Every Tuesday to the weekly stock sale
He would visit without fail
With a merry twinkle and a happy smile
At each pub he’d stop for a while.
Sometimes his housekeeper with an arm strong.
Was always ready to tow him along.
Home to his farm up in the hills.
If he had his way, he would be there still.

In his day he cleared his land.
Including the site where the old school stands.
On his block was a timber mill
Where tall trees were cut and felled.
A home was built near the mountain bush line.
Where he lived for a very long time.
Bill was a man who was fond of his beer
And always was full of very good cheer.
He was “Billy Gillooly of Bidi Bidi Farm”
An old time farmer who did no harm.

Maise Worsnop, November 1995

I was 21 years old and off to the War in the Middle East. Returning nearly 5 years later I was welcomed on the farm and my father was hoping that I would one day take over. This period was very difficult for me, not knowing my father and not much knowledge of farming. However, there could have been “ways” then things began to “cool” somewhat and I could see that I was not that welcome. I think Mrs Gregory had other ideas. My father’s health was beginning to fail and the farm was quickly sold to a Mr

Page 24

D. Cullen in 1950. Then my father and “Greg” came to live in Victoria Street in Waipawa where he died in 1952. The whole of his estate was left to “Greg” and charities and nothing to his family. His estate was later contested in the Courts favourably. In the years after World War One the 1930 depression and the 1931 earthquake, and the years leading to World War Two were very hard on families and thanks must go to Mrs Gregory for looking after William Charles Foulds.

Settling down after the war years and after my father died, I was now married to Rose. We then had a Grocery-Dairy shop in Duke Street in Hastings for the next seventeen years. By then Janice and Charles were growing up fast and this life became a way of life for me. Over this period of time I was moving about a bit and life was becoming very interesting for me finding and meeting my “Foulds” Aunts and Uncles and cousins, many of whom I had never heard of. After the grocery shop life I then started a Book Shop with a Post Office agency in Flaxmere in Hastings for the next ten years before semi-retiring. I then had my seasonal job with the NZ Apple Pear Board for ten seasons. In the non seasonal months one day at

Photo caption –

Dorothy Dorreen with her son Stuart Dorreen with his 16 year old daughter Rochelle 1995.

Page 25

the supermarket I ran into Betty Foulds who asked me, “What are you doing about the Foulds family tree”? “I am sorry, I do not know much about the family” I answered, and she told me she didn’t either. The challenge was accepted and soon we were researching and you as the reader will know what has been found from the copies of the family trees and in this book. I do hope it brings as much pleasure to you as the reader as l have enjoyed the years of work, as a hobby in compiling this.

JOHN EDWARD FOULDS – Born 6.10.1884 at Lyttelton was the fifth child and the third son for William and Emily Foulds and the last child to be born at Lyttelton. So he was the baby when his parents and all the Foulds and the Beazleys arrived at Hampden. I presume he started his schooling at Hampden and is on the school roll at Wakarara in the years of 1897 to 1902. John must have spent his life helping out on the farm and was only about 13 years old when his father died. On this list of names that my cousins gave me of Deaths, Births and Marriages it states that John Foulds was killed by a falling tree in Gisborne. Now this must be contradicted. I went searching for an inquest at National Archives and they informed me that they did not have one. So becoming more inquisitive, thinking he may have died from injuries from a falling tree. So I decided to write to the Gisborne branch of the NZ Genealogical Society, to see if they were able to find any News Media reports in the local newspaper of the day. Yes there was one record of the accident and another of the inquest. A jury inquest was held the next day at the British Empire

Photo caption – Volna and Albert Rumbal.

Page 26

Hotel of a FATAL BICYCLE accident into the death of JOHN EDWARD FOULDS. John was on a visit to Gisborne and that morning he decided to go for a bike ride. He was riding along Ormond Road near a bend and coming to an incline it appears that he was travelling fast with his head down, and in the middle of the road, he seemed to lose control of the machine and collided with another cyclist with some force. He landed heavily on the side of the road, becoming unconscious with back of the head injuries and died in Dr Fisher’s Private Hospital a few hours later. A Thomas Parkinson who knew John had warned him to be more careful about his reckless riding. Had John been more careful and observed the rules of the road this unfortunate accident would not have happened. John was buried on the 21 April 1903 in the Makaraka Cemetery Plot number 716 in an unmarked gave, which has no head stone.

LOUISA ANNIE FOULDS – Born 25.10.1886 was the sixth child, and third daughter for William and Emily, becoming their first to be born at Hampden, Hawke’s Bay. It must have been about 1889 that the Foulds moved to Heavitree and shortly after that Louisa went missing. In this chapter I will explain what happened, or what I found out, amongst the

Photo caption – Standing: Florence and Volna.
Seated: Murial and Ellen Rumbal, nee Foulds.

Page 27

many stories. Louisa was playing or watching the road making (pick, shovel) in Foulds Road Cutting (now Boyles) and on the late afternoon of the 4th June 1890 she was reported missing. Could she have wandered off, become

Photo caption – Kumeroa Amy Amie Riahania [Raihania], nee Louisa Annie Foulds.

Photo caption – The Foulds Family at Heavitree.

Page 28

lost in the bush, or picked up by someone? A police search was started. I have a copy of the police search which states. “The next day a constable set out to Makaretu, 21 miles on horseback to look for a mother and child lost in the bush”. It seems strange that two entries with the same summaries of content. Constable J Treanor was transferred to Woodville on the 6th June and on the 9th June a Sgt. H McArdle walked from Waipawa to Hampden to make enquiries about a “child lost in the bush”. And this was followed up by a Constable Brosnahan until 11th June and he reported back of “NO” findings, and that appears to be the final entry. Next, from stories and “so called friends” came a story of a pakeha girl resembling a Foulds was at Te Harota [Haroto]. Ellen and some of the family did make the trip to try and solve this mystery. Much later, Florence and Stan Rumbal also made a trip about 1950. They were greeted in a very friendly manner and in the house they were very disturbed by the amount of noise in other rooms which appeared to be that of a person being bustled out of the house via the back door. Had they had a person who could have understood Maori they might have learnt a lot more or solved the mystery. Florence told me much about this mystery and about 1988 I became interested in Genealogy. At a meeting one night a Mr Gould (Hastings Court House) was the guest speaker for the night and after I asked about this situation, his reply was “No death certificate”. The person has lived. WHERE?? Then shortly afterwards I came across two ladies doing research work on the Napier-Taupo Road Cemetery. So I made a phone call, told my story – “Yes, we’ve heard that story. We will get back to you”. So two weeks later came all the information now outlined on the William and Emily Foulds family tree taken from the Register of the Napier Court House. Louisa lived at Te Harota for 76 years and believed she never spoke any English, only Maori. Later in my research I found a Mr Philip Hazel in Napier who knew her and I was shown a photo of her. I was able to get a copy about the same time. Unbeknown to each other, a Mr Ron Beazley, a second cousin was also doing research on Louisa. So we did have a great pleasure in meeting each other and a discussion over our notes. You may have heard this story on the radio, no names mentioned, only places. Central Hawke’s Bay and a settlement near Taupo. To the best

Page 29

of my knowledge all my Aunts and Uncles, and most of my cousins never knew what happened to our Aunt Louisa. Only the stories!

19 August 2001

Having a talk with Bronwyn Arlidge recently, she informed me of more about my Aunt Louisa.

She said… “The reason for being taken (so they say), was that the people who did it, or were asked to do it, knew of a family at Te Harota who wanted a child because they had lost one of their own. The people concerned saw Louisa playing, roaming or wondering [wandering] about and they just picked her up at the spur of the moment. ”

Her life at Te Harota was a very happy one. We don ’t know if she ever knew that she was Pakeha born, or if she ever wanted to return to her family.

In her life she was respected by everyone at Te Harota and they all knew her as a lovely lady with beautiful tan skin and blue eyes.

It must have been in her later life that she was of “authority”and was, or acted as the “Rangatira ” keeping law and order with a stick which she always carried in the Pah’s [Pas].

ARTHUR JAMES FOULDS – Born at Hampden on 20.10.1888 was the seventh child and fourth son for William and Emily. I do not know what his occupation was. I presume he worked on farms and his little block of land on the corner at the Otane and State Highway 2 turn off. Arthur married Florence Oliver in 1919 after he returned from service in World War One. He returned a very sick man from gas effects and died early in life at the age of 40 years. In their early married life they adopted Valda and then Mary and Betty came along. After 3 girls in the house Arthur was looking for a son. Yes, a son. Arthur Jr. was born six months after he died in 1928. Valda and Mary married two Riseborough brothers and live in Auckland with their families near by. Betty married Bill Blackledge and lived in Waipawa. They

Page 30

have both died and their family still live in Waipawa and Hastings. Betty was a caller to see me, while I had the shop at Flaxmere when she came to visit her son, then living in Flaxmere.

Arthur Jr. married Betty Stephenson and in their early married life they enjoyed moving about before deciding to live in Hastings with their two sons, Wayne and Stephen near by. Their daughter Penny lives in Brisbane. It was Betty who talked me into genealogy and we both started off doing this Family History, but unfortunately Betty had to retire to look after Arthur. Mr Robin Bell, a noted Hawke’s Bay historian told me that there is a bridge along the Otane/Patangata Road called after Arthur Foulds. I don’t know if that bridge is still there today or over time is now forgotten?

ANNIE LOUISA FOULDS – was the first born at Heavitree on 15 December 1890. She was the eighth child and fourth daughter of William and Emily. I don’t know what work Annie did in the district but she may have done housework for people. However shortly after her 18th birthday she married Herbert Johnston at where the Parker House is today at Argyll. One of her bridesmaids, Harriet Lean, had her 105th birthday on 4 July 1999 while living at Eversley Rest Home. Annie and Herbert made their home in Nelson. Herbert had an interest in farming and worked in the NZ Post Office. He was a returned service man from World War One. Their family consisted of only one daughter, Ngaire, who married Trevor Horne in Nelson. They had a furniture shop and also did a term as Mayor and Mayoress of Nelson. They both died 10 days apart of each other in 1991. Aunt Annie had a beautiful home in Quebec Road with a marvellous view over the city.

ELSIE CATHERINE FOULDS – Born at Heavitree on the 4.03.1893 being the ninth child and fifth daughter of William and Emily. Unfortunately she was drowned at the family water well at Heavitree on the 8 August 1894 at about 18 months old. Elsie is buried nearby in a fenced off area marked grave near Foulds Cutting on Makarora Road. I have a National Archives copy of the Jury Type inquest on my file.

Page 31


– Born at Heavitree on 12.04.1895 being the tenth child and the fifth son of William and Emily. George worked around Tikokino area before going off to World War One. Just a few months before hostilities finished George was killed in action and was awarded the CROIX DEGUERRE (Belgium) for devotion to duty. You may see his photo and name in the War Memorial Library Hall at Tikokino and his name was also on the Clock Tower Memorial in Waipawa. From a family story which was told to me – it must have been when World War One started that Emily stated, of her two sons, that Arthur would return and George, being a bit of a dare devil would not.

Photo caption – George Robert Foulds.

Photo caption- B Nelson, George, C Simons.

Page 32

This is our last salute to one whose name we honour and whose memory we shall ever preserve.

Lance Sergt Cyclist Cps
George Robert Foulds killed in Action,
France, 23 July 1918,
Croix Deguerre (Belgium). 10807.

In Memory oF Lance Serjeant GEORGE ROBERT FOULDS N. Z. Cyclist Battalion who died on Tuesday, 23rd July 1918.

Lance Serjeant FOULDS, Croix de Guerra (Belgium), Brother of Mr. A. W. Foulds, of Dargaville, North Auckland, New Zealand.

Remembered with honour

In the perpetual care of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

“At the going down of the sun and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER HIM”

Page 33

AMY ISOBELL [ISABEL] FOULDS – born at Heavitree on 3.04.1897, the eleventh child and the sixth daughter of William and Emily. Amy followed her sister Annie to live in Nelson. It was in the Cathedral in Nelson in 1921 that Amy married Andrew McConchie. They had a family of 4 sons, all born in Nelson. Ian and Barry have died. Allan lives in Owera, Northland and does not enjoy good health. Raymond lives in Nelson with all the young McConchie. Uncle was a monumentalist in Nelson and being a returned service man from World War One he was the life style model of a soldier and the model became a cast model and when made up became the districts War Memorial at Wakefield near Nelson. Both Aunts and Uncles made many trips back to Hawke’s Bay to see their brothers and sisters. Like Annie’s house, their house was on a hill with great views of the city and the local sports ground. Amy was only 16 months old when her father was drowned.

Now comes the most sad part of Emily’s life. Having lost her husband, and with a farm and young children to look after, Henry Dorreen a neighbour at “Brentwood”, and the older children had to help out. In 1901 Emily and Henry Dorreen married and a son was born, Charles Henry Dorreen on 30 October 1901. Charles went to the Wakarara School. I don’t know what he did however he was only 15 years old when his mother died. In my research I find that he married Dorothy Shilton in 1942, and had a family of 3 boys and 3 girls. Charles died in 1972 leaving his widow living in Morrinsville and the family in Auckland. I did have the pleasure of corresponding with Dorothy before she died in 1996. Now I have this true story of Henry Dorreen with his first wife. It appears that he arrived home one day to find his wife with another man, so he hurried this gentleman’s departure with a “SHOTGUN”. So it happened, Henry was charged with manslaughter and eventually ACQUITTED.

Page 34

T0 MY GRANDPARENTS – their lives must have been one of hardship, sadness and hard work. Our grandfather knew of a little sadness. He possibly would have heard of his step sister Harriet Campbell, nee Foulds, and her son being burnt to death in a house fire in Lyttelton in 1868 and Harriet also had a daughter who died at 10 years old. Then in his own life he saw Louise disappear without trace in 1890 and 3 years later Elsie Catherine drown in the water well in 1893.

In the Beazley family all of the five children were brought up in an orphanage and grandmother Emily was just 14 years old (the eldest) when her mother died. Then she suffered the loss of a sister, Clara Beazley, to extensive burns from clothing catching on fire from an open air wood burning copper in 1887, aged 21 years. In Emily’s married life she saw Louisa disappear 1890, then Elsie was drowned in 1893. Then in 1903 John died from a bicycle accident in Gisborne. And her husband drowned in 1898. Then at the start of World War One she would know that Arthur and George would be going into the Services. Grandmother Emily died in Waipawa in 1916, and little did she know that George did not return and Arthur came home a very sick man.

In all the War years I found that George Robert was the only one killed in World War One, and in World War Two it was Flight Lieutenant Everest Edmunds D.F.C. who died in air operations in the Mediterranean in 1941. In my research I found many Great Uncles, Uncles and Cousins who served in the Wars. I did find many sudden deaths and deaths early in their lives from illness and even a little 3 year old who died in the Wahine Disaster (Edward Foulds Family, Christchurch).

And when we look back over the years, how our grandparents lived “What a life!”, full of hardship, sadness, and hard work, no mod cons, telephone, cars, radio, TV, electric power, and look at what we take for granted. Today’s generations – haven’t we got it good? Grandfather was one of 13. It is only he and his younger brother Edward who had families

Page 35

and his brother Edwards had a family of 10, 6 girls and 4 boys and many of the descendants are still living in Christchurch. Grandmother, the mother of 12 before she died and the eldest son Albert had 11 of his 16 children at the time of his mothers death in 1916. Their social life must have been non existent, and they devoted their lives to looking after children.

Being in the field of Genealogy and reading in the News Media that there is a big shortage of interested amateur historians who research and write about their families. In my golden years I have achieved much and possibly the reader will find errors and possibly do not agree with my findings. It is a pity more information could not have been told and recorded about the early days and left to the amateur or the professional writers and researchers to bring into our Heritage. As a young nation we must start writing more about it.

I am hoping to find a younger person to come forward to look after the “TREE” and hope that l have left a good foundation to start with. When Betty Foulds and myself started this TREE we asked the question of where do we start?, and having achieved much of our ambition, where do we finish? There is no such finish in Genealogy.

To the younger generation, to find your way to GLENWOOD, the home of William and Emily Foulds, go to Wakarara Road, off State Highway 50, or from State Highway 50, pick up Makarora Road and go for a good few kilometres and watch for a farm sign ‘EVERTREE”. That is Boyles farm, and that’s the “HEAVITREE” area. Further along you will drive into FOULDS CUTTING. Continue a short distance, on the left is Mr R.D. Wilson’s “TUIVALE” farm, that is the place where the Foulds’ house was and Elsie Grave nearby. Over the bridge to the junction of Wakarara and Makarora Roads, turn right and continue on until you see the old Wakarara School, turn left into the North Block Road, and “GLENWOOD” and “BRENTWOOD” are the last farm houses on the left at the end of the road.

Page 36

The Author. . .

George Robert Foulds was born in Waipawa on the 4.11.1919, living at “Glenwood”, North Block Road, Wakarara for the three years which followed.

Unfortunately my parents “parted” which saw my sister Elsie, mother and grandmother Waldrom move to live in Otane for a short time, later in 1924 we moved to Southampton Street West in Hastings.

Schooling for the next 10 years and then into the workforce, finding a job within the grocery trade, later working for Mr Tom King until 1940.

The next five years was spent with the New Zealand Army. The 2nd N.Z.E.F. saw me in the Western Desert and Italy. While serving in the 4th N.Z. Field Regiment I was once wounded at Ruweisat Ridge in 1942.

Back to my old job in 1946. I met Rose and married her in 1948. Janice and Charles came along and in 1953 I started a Grocery Dairy Store in Duke Street, Hastings. Time went on when I sold the store in 1970 having a change to a Bookshop with a Post Office Agency in Flaxmere, a suburb of Hastings where I traded for 10 years. It was here that I became semi-retired. I have for the last 10 years a seasonal position with the NZ Apple and Pear Board.

By now, Janice and Charles had married with their own families coming along. Today we are blessed with three grandsons and three granddaughters.

I became interested in Genealogy, and what a lot of pleasure I have had meeting people and finding my “grass roots” working on family trees. The “TREES” I have worked on: Folds – Fowlds and Foulds, 1790 and the Waldram – Waldrom, (my mother’s family, 1511) and my wife’s Brooker – Broker, 1729, plus an interest in the Holdens.

So to future generation, carry on with your GENEALOGY!!!

Page 37

I will continue to find out more about my Great Grandparents William and Mary Foulds (nee Lingard), and in conclusion this part of history must be dedicated to EMILY ELIZABETH FOULDS and to the memory of GRANDFATHER WILLIAM FOULDS.

Photo caption – William and Emily Foulds

Page 39


NZ Genealogist Society – Branches: Hawke’s Bay, Gisborne and Canterbury
Poverty Bay Herald, Gisborne
Waipawa Mail
NZ National Archives
Mrs Maise Worsnop for her poem
Louisa Laws – Lingard Family
Tikokino School Centennial Book 1866-1996,
Tikokino Book 1966… by S. Butler and J. Mathews
Wakarara School Book
Canterbury Library, Christchurch
Lyttelton Holly [Holy] Trinity Anglican Church
A.G. Bagnell “Wairarapa” and “History of Carterton”
A. Cameron, “Tawa Flats” and “Old Porirua Road”
Ron Beazley – Beazley Family
William “Bill” Cullen – Mr Robin Bell Lt. Col
Mr R.D. Wilson “Tuivale”, Makarora Road
Dorreen Family
Vilma Ellmers – Portrait photos of William and Emily Foulds
Pat Frykberg – Guidance
Betty Porter – Proof Reading
Jackie Buxton – Foulds family photo
Mrs O. Taylor – Word-processing
Karen Fletcher of “YDesign” for her expertise and knowledge in putting this book together

And all my “cousins” for their help… THANK YOU

Layout and Design:
YDesign, Karen Fletcher
6 Stiles Avenue, Waipukurau, Hawke’s Bay,
Phone: (06) 858-8750 – Fax: (06) 858-8762
Email: [email protected]

Back cover



In the year 2013 an error was found in the Foulds family tree.

The error is that of William Fowlds father John Folds m. 1770, who marrage one [whose first marriage was to] Matha Taylor 17-10-1791, [whose second marriage was to] marrage two to Olive Greenwood 29-3-1815.

The son of John & Olive Fowlds, William B. 1818 is not the William that came to N.Z. in 1840. This William was found in the 1842 cenuse [census] still living in Chellow Range and he married in 1844.

The amendment now reads John Foulds B. 1742 (Carleton) m. Sarah Holdsworth B. 1744. A son Mark Foulds B.1777 (Cartelton) M. Sarah Spencer 1796 * B.1779. They had a family of 5 Boys &5 Girls. And William no 9 B. 28-8-1818 in (Carleton) is the one that came to N.Z. with Richard & Ann Seed, Ann became William wife in N.Z. in 1840.

Original digital file



Surnames in this booklet –

Arlidge, Armstrong, Bagnall, Baillie, Bain, Baker, Bate, Beazley, Bell, Boaler, Branks, Brett, Broderick, Brooker, Brosnahan, Brown, Bullock, Buxton, Cameron, Campbell, Carman, Carter, Chesterman, Clough, Collier, Cullen, Dixon, Donald, Dorreen, Duke, Edmunds, Ellmers, Firth, Fitzgerald, Fletcher, Foulds/Fowlds, Frykberg, Gould, Greenwood, Gregory, Hall, Hazel, Heaps, Hicks, Hinchcliffe, Holdsworth, Horne, Jackson, Jones, King, Krebbs/Krebs, Lepworth, Lingard, Maroro, Marsh, McCardle, McConchie, McCullough, McFarlane, Middleton, Mounce, Nelson, Oliver, Osborn, Parkinson, Porter, Raihania, Rathbone, Rhodes, Robinson, Ronaldson, Rumbal, Seed, Shilton, Simons, Spargo, Spencer, Stephenson, Taylor, Thomson, Tiffen, Towell, Treanor, Vesty, Wakefield, Waldrom, Walton, Wells, West, Wilson, Witchell, Worsnop

Date published


Format of the original


Creator / Author

Accession number


Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.