By 1925 remodelling was well under way. The cost was approximately 3,200 pounds. On the 16th October, 1925, Sir James Parr, the Minister of Education, opened the baths.
On 24th of August, 1953, Mahora School had its Golden Jubilee, 24 of the 52 first day pupils were there.
In 1978 the school had its 75th Jubilee. Fifty to sixty pupils attended.
Mayfair School opened its doors on February the 6th, 1950. On the first day 264 pupils attended. Most of the children came from Central, Mahora or Parkvale areas.
Mr Burke, the first Headmaster, made the first note in his logbook, it read – “This is a new school of six classrooms and library, built to relieve the congestion at Central, Mahora and Parkvale Schools.”
In July, 1965, the Assembly Hall was officially opened by Mr W. Smith, Chairman of the Hawke’s Bay Education Board.
In 1980 one classroom was relocated and another two in 1983, due to a falling roll.
During the 1970’s Raureka School grew swiftly and had a total of sixteen rooms. Because of strong parent interest, Raureka was one of the first schools to have a classroom-sized library. Its roll fell and now the school has twelve teachers.
At present, the Principal of the school is Mr J. S. Nelson, a former pupil.
St Mary s School was opened in 1957. Approximately 180 children attended the school.
On the 18th May, 1980, St Mary’s School was integrated into the State Educational system. Catholic leaders decided to integrate the school because they were in financial difficulties and would not be able to remain open.
On the 6th June, 1982, at 6.25pm a fire struck the school. It burnt and damaged 5 classrooms, including one that was being used as a staffroom and library. It also damaged the administration block. The fire caused over $600,000 worth of damage.
More about this can be found in the chapter “Fire and Flood.”
Fifty-six years ago in 1928, the Hastings Memorial Hospital was built. However, its history dates back to 1906 when attempts were made to found a Cottage Hospital.
Today the hospital has a staff of 700 and it is still growing. In 1983, 7,500 patients were admitted along with 1,200 maternity cases.
The hospital was officially opened on Anzac Day, April 25th, 1928, but it only started receiving patients in August of that year. It was because of the 1931 earthquake that full general hospital services were established in the town. Further additions were added over the years and it was well used.