1953 Availability of water was again a problem. A meeting between Havelock and Hastings resulted in an agreement from Hastings to build a reservoir of 2,750,000 gallons capacity.
1954 In return for Hastings providing the new reservoir, Havelock was to hand over the St Andrews Road pumping station and all wells and pipes.
1955 St Luke’s School closed.
1957 Sewerage became a major issue. Havelock’s sewers drained into 4 enormous septic tanks, which seeped into the Karamu Stream and were therefore regarded as a health risk. The cost to Havelock of sewage treatment would have been $116,000 or else $62,000 to connect to Hastings sewer, plus running expenses. The latter scheme was chosen because it was cheaper. The new Borough Council had other pressing costs, in the development of Anderson Park and the swimming pool.
1956 Keirunga given to Havelock North by George Nelson, provided he and his wife Elizabeth lived there until their deaths.
1959 Hawkes Bay’s provincial centennial. Havelock’s new pool was to be the centennial commemoration.
1960’s There had been growth and prosperity in the last 2 decades. Problems to be addressed were, fluoridation, civic amenities, new sub-divisions, and the perpetual strife over water, sewerage and power.
1960 Our Lady of Lourdes designed by John Scott opened, but supervised from Sacred Heart, Hastings.
1961 50th anniversary of town administration. I E Nolan, wife of the Town Clerk was to record the history. The Havelock Library opened in Middle Road. The 62 feet high brick works chimney demolished.
1962 “Our Village Our Story” published. August 23rd Cocktail party held in Village Hall to mark anniversary of the first Town Board meeting. In November a week was set aside for general celebrations. G E G Rogers began to publish Village News, a local paper, fortnightly. Duart Hospital opened. It cost $100,000, of which $70,000 was a government subsidy.
1963 Havelock Primary School Centennial.
1964 Havelock North Borough Council took over Keirunga, which is now a major centre for arts and crafts in Havelock North. A battery powered T V relay station was built on Te Mata Peak.