Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club 1917-1999

HAVELOCK NORTH
LAWN TENNIS CLUB

1917 – 1999

Contents

Chapter 1   Joll Road   5

Chapter 2   The Domain   11

Chapter 3   Anderson Park No. 2   16

Chapter 4   Life Members   28

Appendices

Office Holders   30

Club Champions   32

Researched and compiled by John Clothier.
Printed by Computer Print & Design, April 2000.

Page 5

Chapter 1

Joll Road

The formation of the Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club can be traced back to a meeting called for those interested in forming a Bowling Club in Havelock North. This was held in the Presbyterian School Room on Friday, 5 May 1916. The committee formed comprised Reverend R. Waugh (Chairman), T. Cottle (Secretary), J. Phillips and N. Coplin. At a meeting on Friday, 28 July 1916 it was decided at once to lay a croquet green at a cost not exceeding £20, also a Tennis Court “if sufficient inducement offered.” At this point in time the Bowling Club was operational at its present site in Joll Road. On 6 December 1916 Mr Phillips showed a plan of the Pavilion, which was approved. Approaches were made to people who might be interested in forming a Tennis Club. On Friday, 6 July 1917 it was suggested that the ladies should be allowed to have half of the bowling green for croquet and that the ground originally intended for croquet could be used for tennis courts.

The Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club was formed at a meeting held in the Bowling and Croquet Club’s grounds on Monday, 30 July 1917. Those present were Messrs E. C. Clarkson (in the chair), Crombie, Cottle, J. F. C. Joll, Powdrill [Powdrell], Wheeler, S. Joll, J. Joll, J. Runciman Jnr and Davis. Misses J. E. and L. Scott, Davis, Miller, Crombie, Rapley and Franklin. Mr Clarkson explained the position emphasising the fact that the Tennis Club would have to be self-supporting as the Bowling Club had enough to do to finance itself. Subscriptions were set at 21/- for Men and 15/- for Ladies. Mr Powdrill was elected President.

Unfortunately the Tennis Club Minutes until 1927 have been lost and any information from 1917 until 1927 is reliant on Minutes from the Bowling Club and from what some Havelock North residents can remember from their parents’ time in the village.

The Bowling, Croquet and Tennis Clubs formed a Central Committee and it is from the Minutes of those meetings that the following information was obtained.  On 25 September 1917 Mr Cottle stated that the Tennis Club had found that “they could not get the ground in order themselves and wished to know if we would allow our man to put in some time on the ground and charge them with the time.” Request agreed. Suggestion made that there could be a possible combined subscription for bowls and tennis.

On 15 October 1917 Mr Phillips reported that the caretaker (Mr Newman) had been called up for military service but had applied for extension of time. (Whether he went to the war or not was not reported).

Play must have taken place on the Tennis courts in the 1917-18 season but there is no record of when play started.

On 9 April 1919 Mr Waugh moved and Mr Heenan seconded that the Tennis Club be permitted to retain their present ground. Fund raising must have been in operation because in the motion it was understood that the Tennis Club match their improvements out of their half of the shop returns.

The Rules of the “Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club Incorporated” were registered with the Registrar of Incorporated Societies on 17 February 1920. These rules are now lost but were revised and registered with the Assistant Director of Incorporated Societies, Napier, on 20 February 1941. These rules had been adopted at a General Meeting of the Club on 6 November 1940. Further alterations to the rules were passed

Page 6

at the AGM of the Club on 14 September 1982 and registered with the Registrar of Incorporated Societies on 21 September 1982.

The official Tennis Club colours were registered in the rules as Blue and Black.

Dr Tony Reeve, long time resident of Havelock North, remembers the Bowling, Croquet and Tennis Clubs at Joll Road with the Tennis Club being very much the junior partner. Dr Reeve remembers his father, who Dr Reeve thought was a member of the committee, organising games for the teenagers, one of whom was Dr Reeve.

The Nimon family was very much involved in the early days of the Tennis Club. In 1919 J. J. (Joe) Nimon returned from World War I and about that time Miss Winnie Black, who had been a University Blue in tennis, came from Christchurch to teach at Havelock North School. In 1920 Joe and Winnie were introduced to tennis at the Joll Road courts by Ralph Liley and Flora MacPhee. Time played on the courts helped cement both romances because both couples were married within four or five years of that

Photo captions –

JJ (Joe) Nimon ready for tennis.

Joe Nimon, far right, and his wife, Winnie (nee Black) second from right, ready for a mixed doubles with friends.

Ralph Liley (with pipe), his wife Flora (nee Macphee) with a friend at the Joll Road courts.

Page 7

time. More will be told about Ralph Liley’s contribution to the Club in the listing of the achievements of Life Members later in this story. Joe Nimon was involved in Club play and administration for many years. At the AGM of the Club on 15 October 1927 “Mr. J. J. Nimon explained the full position with regards to the Club’s debt to the Bowling Club.” Mr Nimon was President of the Club from 1937 until 1945.

Early administrators of the Club were P. F. Hunter, President from when records began in 1927 until 1936, and Secretaries A. F. Smith, A. Webb and A. H. Eddie.

Two photographs supplied by Don Clapperton, a Life Member of the Bowling Club, show us what the Tennis Club was like at this time. The first, taken in the early 1920’s from Joll Road, shows the bowling green, croquet green and two tennis courts, with people playing all three sports. The other photograph taken about 1930, shows the croquet green, near Joll Road, then the bowling green behind it and behind that again the tennis courts, now four in number. The pavilion is on the side of the bowling green, Marshall’s orchard is on the left-hand side, Joll’s orchard behind the tennis court

Photo captions –

Early 1920’s bowling green and croquet lawn in foreground; two tennis courts in background.

Brothers Les (left) and Ralph Liley

Page 8

and the Joll homestead is at the back left of the photo. In the 1930’s, Henry Marshall, a keen player and administrator, had only to climb under the fence from his parents’ orchard to get to the courts.

At the AGM of the Central Committee on 28 June 1922, the motion was carried “that each Club be given a tenancy for the ground that it holds and be charged 3s.6d Bowling Club and 2s.6d Tennis Club.” Over the next few years the problem of how to share costs among the Clubs was always bubbling on the surface.

The first recorded AGM of the Tennis Club was held on 30 July 1927 and it is interesting to record the officers elected. President P. F. Hunter, Secretary H. F Smith, Treasurer R. W. Liley, Delegate to Centre J. J. Nimon. Vice-Presidents Sir George Hunter, Rear Admiral R. N. Lawson, Reverend K. McMillan, Dr. Reeve, W. A. Mackenzie, F. Mackenzie, J. Phillips, J. E. Lane, W. N. Lane, D. M. S. Millar, S. Graham, Miss McHardy, Mrs J. N. Williams, Mrs Lowry North. (This seems a long list of vice-presidents but it was the usual custom of vice-presidents to give a donation to the Club). Mr Nimon explained to those at the AGM the full position regarding the Club’s debt to the Bowling Club.

Interclub competition was held at this time. The Neal and Close competition team selected on 1 December 1927 was:
Gents: R. Liley, L. Liley, F. Gloyn, C. Graham.
Ladies: Miss Bridgman, Mrs L. Liley, Miss Wilson, Miss Blair.

Also on 1 December 1927 Mr Liley proposed and Mr Webb seconded “that owing to several members objecting, Sunday play be stopped.” The motion was passed.

Subscriptions in 1928 were £1 10 s for men and £1 for ladies. The profit from a dance held on 6 December 1928 was £6.5s and that was regarded as very satisfactory. At that time Mr Smith proposed and Miss Gloyn seconded that the motion banning Sunday play be rescinded. This motion was carried.

On 24 September 1930 a letter of

Photo caption – 1930 Pavilion has been built. Croquet lawn in foreground, behind it the bowling green, behind again now four tennis courts.

Page 9

appreciation was received from the Bowling Club thanking the Tennis Club for reducing their debt to the Bowling Club. The AGM of 1933 reported a very satisfactory financial position for the Club. An indication of the volatile nature of the Club came in 1936 when, in view of the small membership, it was decided that the matter of closing one court be left to the discretion of the Committee. The Club was still thinking positively because at a meeting in that year Miss E. Trenenam [Treneman] moved, and Henry Marshall, (a long-serving stalwart of the Club), seconded “that the erection of the volley board be proceeded with.” This was carried unanimously.

Hector Eddy was Secretary of the Club from 1933 to 1938. He won the Mixed Doubles with E. Nimon in 1927, with his future wife Edith Blair in 1930 and with L. Cornwall in 1933. After their marriage Hector and Edith moved to Motueka where they bought an orchard and also continued their interest in tennis.

The long time occupation of the Tennis Club at the Joll Road courts ended in 1937 when the Club moved to the Domain. A meeting of the Club held on 8 October 1937 approved the Committee’s action in regard of the sale of the Joll Road property to the Bowling Club for £60.

Page 10

Chapter 2

The Domain

Opening day on the new courts in the Domain was held on 22 October 1938. There were five grass courts on three levels, two courts on the top two levels and one on the bottom level. The rugby, cricket, swimming and tennis clubs shared the pavilion.

The late Miss Sybil Redpath told how Maurice and Gordon Small worked with tractors to prepare land for the Domain courts. Sybil also told how the Club ran sweet stalls and card evenings of ‘500’ for social activities and fund raising.

On 28 September 1939, Produce Distributors Ltd, whose General Manager was Arthur Sivewright, another long-time servant of the Club, presented six buttons for competitive play. On 8 February 1999 Mrs Nash (formerly Ethel Treneman, Secretary-Treasurer 1941-43), presented four of these buttons back to the Club, after having had them for over fifty years.

Mrs Nash recalls how the Club was passing through quiet times in the years of the Second World War with an active membership of only about ten players. Many of these were engaged in fund-raising activities for the war effort. Upkeep of the grass courts was dependent on the assistance of Mr Bert Anderson, clerk of the Town Board and the Town Board employees. Town Board priorities meant that the courts weren’t always maintained at the high standard members desired. On 6 October 1941 it was decided that owing to the decreased membership and to reduce the cost of upkeep, it was prudent to close the top terrace in the meantime.

Correspondence in 1941 and 1942 dealt with a variety of topics. On 13 February 1941 letters were sent to Les Jones (see Life Members citation) and his fiancée Ida Joll, and to Henry Marshall (long-serving committee member and Treasurer from 1935 until 1939), and his fiancée Molly Lay, inviting them to be present at the courts on the following Saturday afternoon when a small presentation would be made to celebrate their forthcoming marriages. At the function the couples were each given a gift of cutlery.

On 28 October 1941 a letter was sent to Miss E. Heenan, 21 King Edward Avenue, Epsom, SE3, Auckland. In the letter was the following “At the AGM of the club held on the 6th instance your resignation was received with regret. I have been asked to convey to you the sincere appreciation of members for your valuable services as Secretary and for many years a very energetic member of the Committee. Your offer to donate a Cup for Ladies’ Championship singles is greatly appreciated. Subject to your approval the Cup will be known as the Heenan Cup.” The Cup was competed for until 1977 when the Ralph Liley Memorial Cup replaced it.

In November the following letter was received from the Hastings Combined Tennis Clubs. “At a meeting of Combined Tennis Clubs in Hastings it has been decided to conduct a One-day Tournament in aid of the present appeal for the Patriotic Funds. The tournament will be held on the West End Courts on Sunday 30 November 1941. The tournament will be Combined Handicap A and B Grade. The entrance fee is 2s.6d per player and balls will be provided. Morning and afternoon tea will be available at a charge of 6d.”

Early in 1942 the HB Lawn Tennis Association made a request for numbers of Club members for affiliation charges.

Page 11

Membership totals were advised as follows: 19 Ladies, 1 Lady (1/2 sub), 5 Men, 5 Men (1/2 sub).

The 1942 Club Champions were:
Ladies’ Open and Handicap Singles
Mrs Gwen Moran
Men’s Handicap Singles
Les Jones
Ladies’ Doubles
Mesdames Sivewright and Weymouth

On 16 August 1943 a meeting was told that it was obvious the Club couldn’t pay rent, pay labour and meet the cost of maintenance of the courts. It was decided that Mr J. J. Nimon approach the Town Board with the proposal that the Board maintain the courts and the whole of the subscriptions collected be paid to the Board.

On 10 November 1947 a letter was sent to the Town Board proposing that four courts be rented at £21 per court per season, and also requesting the continued use of the Town Board motor mower.

The state of the grass courts continued to cause concern. On 10 January 1948 to address problems caused by the poor state of the courts advice was sought from ‘Greens Research Committee’. On 16 February 1948 it was deemed necessary that the courts needed to be completely re-laid. General discussion took place on ways and means of raising the £70 to £80 required. Mr. Liley, Treasurer, said that the Club’s credit was only £40. It was left to the committee to decide on a date after the paralysis epidemic to run a ball or dance.

The 1948 Club Champions were:
Men’s Singles (Woodham Memorial Cup)
E. Watts
Ladies’ Singles (Heenan Cup)
Miss S. Woodham
Combined Doubles (Hodge Cup)
T. Campbell & Miss R. Joll

On 30 March 1948 one of the items of business at the committee meeting was the Tennis Club Ball. This was held shortly afterwards. Unfortunately owing to several counter attractions the ball was not a great success financially, with the sum of 6s.6d profit being made, However in every other way it was felt the Ball was a success and the Club “can be reasonably sure of a big attendance with a future function.” (There is no record as to whether or not that happened). On 20 April 1948 an overdraft of £100 was obtained to finance court improvements with 10 members to be guarantors each of £10. On 19 August 1948 £90 was received from Internal Affairs Department as a subsidy on the work done on the courts. The AGM of 1 September 1948 reported the previous year had been very successful and at the end of the 1948 season the courts had been re-laid. On 28 September 1948 a letter from the Town Board offered the Club the courts for the season at a rental of 1/-, a very generous gesture.

The Beaumont family lived in a house near what would now be the corner of Karanema Drive and Napier Road, but at that time was at the southern end of the courts. Ted was Secretary in 1946 but had to give up tennis shortly afterwards when he went farming at Pakowhai. John was never a member but often with his friend Bob Frater would have a game on the courts when there were no members around. John was employed by the club to mow the lawns for a short time in the 1940’s. His memories of the courts in the 1940’s are of Saturday afternoons with the five courts filled with tennis players immaculate in their whites. As well as John others have remarked about the scrumptious afternoon teas that the tennis players organised for themselves at this time. In the 1950’s, John remembers deterioration in the quality of the courts with big dust areas on the service lines.

June Bradshaw (nee Hawkes) tells of

Page 12

LOCATION OF HAVELOCK NORTH LAWN TENNIS CLUB ON THE HAVELOCK NORTH DOMAIN – 1938 – 1965

TE MATA ROAD

TOP TIER
MIDDLE TIER
BOTTOM TIER
BATHS

PAVILION SHARED BY CRICKET, RUGBY, TENNIS & SWIMMING

Page 13

enjoyable games of tennis in the 1940’s when she was still at school. Highlights were playing pennants against Hastings, West End, Parkvale and Whakatu, with players Peter Colvin, Dora Toulamin [Toulmin?] and Sally Woodham.

The next two paragraphs come from information supplied by Julia Liley who now lives in Hamilton. The family of Frank and Flora Liley was very sports-orientated, playing anything they could, but tennis was probably the major one in which they all participated. Julia remembers her mother saying that once you had children you virtually had to give up tennis because you weren’t allowed to have little children down at the courts, so Flora’s time on the courts was severely curtailed. By the time Julia was in her teens her father had become involved in the Bowling Club, playing regularly. However he would still play some games of tennis and was still playing a few games in his sixties. The family seemed to go through tennis racquets like others go through shoes and Julia remembers her father burying up to 10 racquets underneath their peach tree. Bruce, Harry and Julia started playing at a young age in their backyard and as soon as they were allowed on the courts. They all played regularly at and for the Club right through their teenage years until each went to University, Bruce up to and including 1946, (John Nimon regards Bruce as one of Havelock North’s brightest exports – a renowned and world famous nuclear scientist), Harry until 1951 and Julia 1957. However they continued contact and playing many years after that when they came home in the summer holidays. Harry played tennis at the Club in the 1950’s when he was teaching at Parkvale and Elsthorpe Schools. Harry was Club Captain in 1954 and 1955.

During the 1950’s when Julia was at Secondary School she used to live at the tennis courts and would play until very late. Julia’s mother would often say “Why are you so late. It’s dark, you couldn’t still be playing tennis,”, and the answer was always the same. “Yes, of course we could see the ball and even if we couldn’t we’d still be trying.” Julia recalls players she competed with at that time. Her friend Jenny Gane (now Crooks) was always a rival for the Junior Singles title. Julia and Jenny had most entertaining games against Mrs Nola Toogood and Mrs Shirley Harrison. Everyone those days would remember playing against other Clubs (like Whakatu) and the big afternoon teas always set out in the Pavilion.

Jenny Crooks memories of the Club about this time are of games with and against Julia and Mixed Doubles games involving Peter Sugden and Ross Bramwell. Jenny speaks fondly of the large trees situated between the courts and the baths that provided welcome shelter from the heat of the sun and the baths that provided cooling relief after a hot game of tennis.

At a committee meeting on 17 March 1940 it was moved “that a pound box of chocolates be given to the winners of the Ladies’ events where there was no cup and 50 cigarettes to the Men.”

Photo caption – The pavilion at the Domain.

Page 14

The 1953 Club Championship winners were:
Senior Men   J. Smillie
Senior Ladies   Miss J. Shanley
Ladies’ Doubles   Mesdames Toogood and Harrison

Harry Penman was a very active player, administrator and coach of Junior Tennis at this time. Doris (his wife) remembers Harry playing in 1953 in 34°C heat. While Harry played tennis Doris took their children for a swim in the pool nearby. Having the pool so close was a bonus on hot days when the courts were at the Domain.

On 12 November 1958 problems with the weeds led to the closure of the two top courts in readiness for topdressing. On 23 October 1960 a letter of appreciation was sent to Mr Walley, who had retired after seven years as caretaker.

Carol Tweedie, still an active member of the club in 1999, remembers going to tennis at the Domain courts in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, leaving her children under the trees while she was playing. Maryon Svendsen did the same with baby Maryon.

Changes were afoot in the village as the Council proposed a ring road that would cut through the existing Domain courts. On 23 October 1962 discussion took place on the Council’s proposal to relocate the courts from the Domain to Anderson Park No. 2. A subcommittee was formed to approach the Council in an endeavour to have the courts sited in front of the Pavilion on the Domain. The 8 October 1963 AGM grappled with the vexed problem of whether to accede to the Council’s request to relocate. Two suggestions made were

1.   To approach the Havelock North Squash Club to see what amenities could be shared at Anderson Park No. 2.
2.   To offer to assist the Council erect a pavilion at Anderson Park No. 2.

However twelve of the eighteen people present at the meeting voted to continue to press for the Council to allow the courts to remain near their present site on the Domain.

The 1962-63 season had been most encouraging with the Club being the only one in the area to substantially increase its membership.

The inevitable happened and following a meeting on 19 May 1964 a letter was sent to the Council telling of the Club’s decision to “rescind our last Annual Meeting motion to oppose the Council and our willingness to be co-operative towards the move to Anderson Park No. 2.”

Opening Day was held on the Domain Courts on 14 October 1965 with the Club to move to Anderson Park No. 2 later in the season.

Page 15

Chapter 3

Anderson Park No. 2

Denis Goldman was President of the Club from 1959 until 1965, the period when the Club was involved in delicate negotiations with the Havelock North Borough Council regarding the siting of the tennis courts. Denis was a very popular and enthusiastic member of the Club, well known for his positive outlook on tennis. One of his favourite expressions was “A good game to win” when he was 40-love down. Denis, who now lives in Auckland, paid tribute to the professional help given to the Club by Colin Shanley in the changeover period, Mrs Olwyn Davis, a keen player and committee member, tells how many people stopped playing tennis when the Club moved.

By 2 February 1966 the new courts were playable but fencing required completion. The pavilion was under construction with the completion date planned for the end of February. It was agreed that play on the new courts and the opening of the new pavilion be held on Saturday, 2 April on which date the season will be officially opened and closed.

Anderson Park is the sports ground in Te Aute Road. Anderson Park No. 1 is where rugby and cricket are played. The Mangarau Stream separates Anderson Park No. 1 and Anderson Park No. 2. Anderson Park No. 2 is on the western side of the stream. The five new grass courts were situated on the southern side of the Squash Club courts. A diagram on page 27 shows when changes and additions to the courts and associated buildings were made.

The courts had been played on during the 1965-66 season and were in very poor condition at the end of the season. On 13 October 1966 the Club agreed to seek alternative playing facilities that year and the Council be asked to close the courts for the ensuing 12 months. The Club would endeavour to assist the Council with labour if required with the object of bringing the courts up to full playing conditions next year.

The Club received a letter from the Town Clerk on 8 November 1967 suggesting that the Club should accept responsibility for year-round maintenance of the courts. From 1967 until 1981 ‘son and father’ combinations maintained the courts, the theory being the son doing the work and the father supervising. Grant and Bill Fletcher, Michael and Fred Scherf, Paul and John Clothier, and Gordon and Charles Smith were the combinations. Ian Moran was the greenkeeper from 1982 until 1992.

On 17 March 1971 a new motor mower was purchased for $198. Les Jardine, Council Superintendent of Parks and

Photo caption – 1985 presentation of trophies.
Beth Clothier, Susan Clothier, Helen Sanders, Louise Penny, John Clothier.

Page 16

Reserves was asked to give advice on how to overcome the growth of the yarrow on the courts and also give advice on repairs needed to the worn base lines.

Friendly matches were played with Otane, Nelson Park and the Havelock North Squash Club in 1972 and it was hoped these would become regular fixtures.  A £50 donation from Club President P. H. Parker was to be used to help towards the erection of a volley board. A letter of thanks was sent to the Havelock North Borough council for relaying No. 1 court.

On 4 November 1975 the committee decided to purchase a new Masport Motor Mower for approximately £350. On a Sunday afternoon in March 1977, Hawke’s Bay played Wellington in a representative match on the Club courts. Club members provided a delicious meal for all players and this was appreciated very much.

The decision to erect the volley board at the village end of No. 1 court was made on 8 February 1977. Quotes for construction were obtained from Fred Rogers – $950, S. J. Lobb – $1421, and B&R Construction and L. R. Davis – $773. The combined quote of B&R Construction and L. R. Davis was accepted. The concrete pad for the volley board was laid by voluntary labour in 1979.

On 15 October 1977 thanks were expressed to Fred Scherf who retired after seven years sterling service as Secretary.

In 1978 and 1979 a number of cups for Championship play were donated. Les and Ida Jones for Mixed Doubles, Bob and Dorothy Penny for Junior Men’s Doubles, Les and Kate Frost for Junior Ladies Doubles and Mrs Flora Liley and Miss Julia Liley for the Ladies Championship Singles, this cup to be known as the Ralph Liley Memorial Cup.

The original pavilion at Anderson Park No. 2 was constructed by the Council and handed over to the Club on 2 April 1966. It was a multi-purpose sports pavilion used by Havelock North Soccer and Softball Clubs as well as the Tennis Club. Cleanliness was often a problem with cigarette butts and dirty floors being the norm. If one Club had the rental of the building control may have been easier. However a greater problem arose from subsidence due to the pavilion being built on unstable ground, the site of an old rubbish dump. By 1978 it was obvious the pavilion would have to be demolished as

Photo captions –

Grass courts 1, 2 and 3 and the volley board.

12 February 1989 waiting between games. Kate Frost, Geoff Walls, Bev Treadwell, Murray Quelch, Darren Christensen, Jim Stephen.

Page 17

the walls were cracking badly and the building had become a risk to life and limb.

A meeting was held on 13 September 1979 where the need for pavilion facilities was discussed. The Club was faced with either utilising Squash Club facilities or using a new Council pavilion. The Squash Club proposal was for a $10 levy on all senior and mid-week members, excluding those Tennis Club members who were also members of the Squash Club. Arrangements were to be reviewed at the end of the 1979-80 Tennis season. The Council proposed building a new pavilion to be used jointly by the Soccer and Tennis Clubs with the Tennis Club having the top storey. The pavilion was to be built on the northern side of the car park, a long way from the courts. The Tennis Club would be required to give a minimum contribution of $10,000 towards building costs and very likely more than that. At a later meeting on 27 October 1979 there was no support for the proposed Council pavilion. The meeting decided to accept the Squash Club proposal that the Tennis Club would use the Squash Club pavilion on a rental basis.

In 1980 Neil Fergus retired as Secretary after a very efficient term from 1977 until 1980. The highlight of the 1979-80 season was the construction of the two asphalt courts now known as courts 6 and 7. The success of those courts motivated the Club in 1981 to explore ways and means to replace the grass courts 4 and 5 with asphalt. In late 1981 approval was obtained from Havelock North Borough Council to proceed with the project but with NO financial aid from them. The quote of $15,225.13 was accepted from Hawke’s Bay Asphalt and the asphalting of courts 4 and 5 was completed early in 1982.

The pattern of play in the Club

Photo captions –

John and Margaret Griffiths, tireless workers for the Club

Building the fence around Court 8 under the supervision of Murray Quelch and Graeme Fulford, 1988.

Page 18

followed various forms. Saturday afternoon games were organised on a 20 minutes rota system. At this time membership was very healthy. Saturday afternoon tennis attracted 40, 50 or even 60 players with a varied programme of competitions being arranged. Mid-week games were organised on a Tuesday morning. Twilight tennis took place on Monday nights. With the four asphalt courts, tennis became an all-year-round activity and many people played through the winter. Inter-club teams played both on the weekend in Hawke’s Bay competition matches and Ladies’ mid-week competitions. The Club organised Open tournaments for Hawke’s Bay players quite often at the start of the season, using Iona College or Woodford House courts to supplement the Club courts. A very successful Ladies’ tournament was held on 21 March 1983, netting approximately $490. New World Supermarket sponsorship was $175. Special thanks were due to the organisers Margaret Griffiths, Beth Clothier and Jackie Crespin. Jackie provided pottery items for prizes, at cost. The Ladies’ tournament was a regular feature for some years.

In 1982 a door was cut into the Tennis Club side of the Squash Club pavilion and under the supervision of John Berkahn a concrete pad was laid on the floor of the pavilion. When completed this room was used as a storeroom for nets, mowers, markers and other tennis gear.

On 11 August 1986 it was reported that grass courts 2 and 3 were in a very bad state. With Council assistance it was hoped to get them playable by November.

On 8 April 1987 the Fisk Shield for inter-club B Grade competition was narrowly won by Havelock North 8-all, 111 games to 99. Successful social games were held with a visit to Taupo and from Masterton. On 10 December 1987 the President (Bob Christensen) thanked John and Margaret Griffiths for their interest-free loan, which had enabled the Club to pay off the debt on the latest hard courts in record time.

On 14 March 1988 a special meeting, attended by 23 members, passed the following motion unanimously “That the committee should proceed with the erection of the fence (enclosing the new court 8 and in effect enclosing all of the courts), the laying down of court 8 in grass, and the covering of the four asphalt courts in Plexipave.”

On 12 December 1988 it was reported that

Photo captions –

Building the fence around Court 8 under the supervision of Murray Quelch and Graeme Fulford, 1988.

New plexipave courts 6 and 7, 1989.

Page 19

courts 4, 5, 6 and 7 would be re-surfaced in Plexipave in early December and the courts would be out of action for about three weeks. The establishment of new court 8 was underway.

By the end of 1988-89, courts 4, 5, 6 and 7 were covered in Plexipave and court 8 had been sown in grass. Courts 1, 2 and 3 were grass and the entire area was enclosed by wire netting. Club members Bob Christensen, Graeme Fulford, Ron Garrick, Russell Cross, John Griffiths and Murray Quelch among others, contributed many hours of voluntary labour in these projects. Judith Klingender, one of the Club life members remarked on how complete the tennis area looked at that time.

One of the fund-raising initiatives introduced about this time was advertising signage. Three signs, sized about 2-4 m x 60 cm were sold for five years at $500 each. By the 1999 season there were six signs. A shop-day held on 3 December yielded $300. One of the committee members, Derek Ward, approached the Albert Hotel, Hastings and from the profits of their gaming machines the Club obtained 48 dozen tennis balls.

As previously stated, since 1979 the Club rented the Squash Club pavilion. A special meeting of the Club on 28 January 1992 attracted 49 members. The meeting considered the options regarding the pavilion. It was felt that the Squash Club facilities had not proven to be entirely satisfactory for Club needs. Even though a levy was paid on every Tennis Club member for the use of the pavilion it was not well patronised as it was not purpose-built for the Club. Inaccessibility and inconvenience had always been the main problems.

A proposal to build the Tennis Club’s own pavilion was brought to the 28 January meeting. President Ron Garrick outlined plans that would see the Club have its own pavilion adjacent to the courts. The motion presented to the meeting proposed that building commence but only when $15,000 in funds, excluding any interest-bearing loans and ongoing club running expenses be held. A secret ballot resulted in 60% voting for the proposal, 36% were against and 4% undecided.

Finance was secured, permission to build obtained from the Council and building

Photo captions –

New plexipave courts 6 and 7, 1989.

Presentation of trophies in the Squash Club Pavilion about 1990. Nancy Tilley in the foreground. Pat Byrne, 7th from left. Murray Quelch and Ron Garrick organising the trophies.

Page 20

Stages in building the pavilion.

Page 21

commenced almost immediately. Many members gave of their time voluntarily. Murray Quelch was Foreman of Building Operations. Murray’s input was recognised when he was awarded free membership of the club for a year. Many other people including Ron Garrick, Derek Ward, Duncan Davidson, John Griffiths, Michael Bell, Stuart Sowersby and John Penny, with others, helped in the building programme. Mrs O’Donnell and Angie Ward among others provided delicious morning teas for the workers. John and Margaret Griffiths helped with bridging finance for the project. Members donated items for the furnishing of the new pavilion; Dinah Shrimpton the Honours Board and a large table, Patricia Davidson shower curtains, Graeme and Jackie Crespin pottery, John and Beth Clothier the fridge and Margaret Griffiths the outdoor furniture and the tool shed while many members donated a $12 ‘Warehouse’ plastic chair. The pavilion was officially opened by club Patron Les Jones on Saturday 26 September 1992 at 3.00pm.

After the opening of the new pavilion and with increased involvement in interclub tennis, membership numbers continued to grow. Pressure on court use indicated a need to increase the number of all-weather courts. After extensive investigations by the committee the AGM of 26 August 1996 was informed that the committee recommended that courts 2 and 3 be re-surfaced in Omni Ultra, a Canadian fibre manufactured in Australia. The contract for $47,000 was awarded to Supergreen Enterprises, whose General Manager was Pat Hinton,

Photo captions –

Saturday 26 September 1992. Cutting the ribbon at the opening of the pavilion. Six life members, from left: Margaret Griffiths, Judith Klingender, John Clothier, Beth Clothier, Ron Garrick (partially obscured).

Inside the pavilion: John Clothier, Jean Cornes (a junior) Les Jones, John Palmer, Angie Ward (nee Tod)

The two omni ultra courts opened for play, Saturday 13 December 1997.

Page 22

and involved excavating the grass courts and compacting the area with metal before the new surface was laid.

Mayor Jeremy Dwyer, using an oversized tennis racquet, officially opened the new courts on Saturday, 13 December 1997.

This letter was found among records of correspondence. “To Secretary, Havelock North Tennis Club. I’d like to resign from the Tennis Club. I can’t discipline myself well enough to get value for my sub. I’ve good intentions but I find myself doing other things – and it’s going to get worse because I’ve taken up tramping in the mountains. Thank you for the enjoyable games I’ve had and mostly lost. I wish the Club the best for the future.” A resigning member (Dated in 1992).

Catering for the needs of Junior tennis players has always been a priority for the Tennis Club. Ron Garrick and Murray Quelch are two players who have moved through from Junior players to Club administrators.

Correspondence and Minutes in the 1940’s tell of co-operation between the Tennis Club and the Havelock North Primary School. In the early 1950’s Harry Penman organised coaching for groups of schoolchildren and Harry’s wife Doris tells of there being up to 100 children involved in these sessions. At a committee meeting on 12 November 1958 Mrs Jeannie Litchfield and Miss Rita Joll were thanked for their efforts in coaching up to 40 children. Jeannie continued coaching when the Club relocated to Anderson Park No. 2.

From the mid-1970’s numbers of children being coached on a Saturday morning gradually increased. This created an awareness of having to improve playing conditions and surfaces, leading to the asphalting of new courts 6 and 7 in 1979 and grass courts 4 and 5 in 1982. Numbers of children coached in 1975 were 46, in 1980 there were 95 juniors and in 1984 there were 96. Instruction was staggered in two sessions from 9.30 am until 11.00 am and 11.00 am until 12.30 pm, from October until the following April.

During the ten years from 1989 until 1999, Junior membership has averaged about 100. This represented 50% of the total Club membership and made Havelock North the acknowledged base for junior tennis in the Hastings – Havelock North area, leading to the Club being one of the

Photo captions –

The two omni ultra courts opened for play, Saturday 13 December 1997.

The ball machine used for Junior Tennis Coaching.

Page 23

two largest Tennis Clubs in Hawke’s Bay

Many Club members have given of their time to provide Junior tennis in the period from 1974 until 1999. These include Mick Sturm, Graeme Fulford, Judith Klingender, Beth Clothier, John and Margaret Griffiths, Murdene Vennell, Ron Garrick, John Penny, Glen Petersen, Trevor Hinton and Darren Christensen. For many of these years Bob Christensen prepared a set coaching programme for the year. The help of parents in implementing the coaching is acknowledged.

Emphasis in coaching was always aimed at improving tennis skills but great stress was always placed on correct tennis etiquette and deportment on the court.

Business House tennis commenced in 1994 and at the time of writing (1999) was still continuing successfully. Up to 16 teams competed every Thursday evening, with teams of 4, most of whom came from outside the Club. The friendly competition gave an opportunity for social tennis and proved a popular event on the Club’s calendar. Some new members were gained from the competition. Bob Christensen ran the programme initially with help from Hugh Bruce. In 1998 Darren Christensen and Trevor Hinton took over control.

Excellence in tennis performance is reflected in lists of Club Champions and good performances in competitions by Club teams. Mention has already been made of Ralph Liley and Winnie Nimon as good players of the Club in early days. Some names appear regularly in the list of Men’s Club champions. These include F. Colvin 1949 and 1951, J. Smillie 1950, 1952 and 1953, F. Scherf 1970, 1971 and 1974, P Moore (in 1999 District Manager of Hawke’s Bay Police) 1980, 1981 and 1982, R. Christensen 1983, 1993 and 1998, G. Bramwell 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 (in 1985 and 1986 Greig was also Club Junior Champion), J. Penny 1979, 1991 and 1992, G. Petersen 1994, 1995 and 1997.

Ladies’ Singles winners not mentioned on the Club Honours Board were 1942 G. Moran. 1948 and 1949 S. Woodham, 1950 R. Joll, 1951 E. Wake, 1952 D. Taulmin [Toulmin?], 1953 J. Shanley, 1966 M. Joll, 1969 and 1977 B. Clothier, 1971 and 1974 M. Svendsen. Since that time M. Pearce, M. Burgess (seven championships in a row from 1982 to 1988 and champion again as M. Hall in 2000), L. Penny and J. Day have been major winners.

Interclub success in Hawke’s Bay competitions reached a peak in the mid 1990’s. In 1987-88 the B-Grade team of G. Fulford (Captain), R. Garrick, R. Cross, J. Stephen and G. Walls won their competition. In 1992, 1993 and 1994 the A-Grade was won by teams comprising R. Garrick (Captain), R. Christensen, P. Araia, S. O’Donnell, R. Carrington, J. Penny and D. Walton while in 1993 and

Photo caption –

Members of the 1993 and 1994 Premier Grade Interclub winning teams. Back Row (Left to Right): R. Carrington, P. Araia, R. O’Donnell, R. Christensen, J. Penny, R. Garrick Front Row: S. Wilson, G. Petersen (Captain), S. O’Donnell, D. Walton

Page 24

1994 the Premier Grade was won by teams comprising G. Petersen (Captain), R. Carrington, P. Araia, R. O’Donnell, R. Christensen, J. Penny, R. Garrick, S. Wilson, S. O’Donnell and D. Walton. Ladies’ interclub teams were competitive without having the overall success of the men. In 1989 the Women’s B-Grade interclub team won their grade. In 1995 the Premier mixed team lost the final after a severe injury depleted the team. In 1992 Havelock North lost the Fisk Shield, played for B-Grade players in Hastings, to Hastings Club, ending a ten-year winning streak.

Individual success has come to many players. In 1986-87 Peter and Geoffrey Sewell won the Hawke’s Bay ‘Parent and Child’ Tournament. Success in the Hawke’s Bay residential singles came to Louise Penny in 1992 and Glen Petersen in 1995.

About the late 1960’s a Hawke’s Bay midweek Ladies’ interclub competition for Thursday mornings was organised by a committee headed by Joyce Shuker (Hastings) and Dot Leech (Nelson Park). Among others Beth Clothier and Shirley Agnew organised the early Havelock North teams. Teams of four from Eskdale in the north to Waipukurau in the south competed on a home and away basis. The graded competition from A to C Grade ensured that the needs of a wide variety of players were met. Over the years the number of teams Havelock North has entered has varied, the numbers being from four to six depending on the year. All Havelock North teams have been very competitive. 1999 proved a very good year with the A-Grade team of Robyn Stallard, Lu Nauer, Tori Morrison, Rachel Warn, Margaret Hall and Angie Tod winning their grade and the two A-Reserve teams finishing first equal. These teams were Sue Shannon, Margaret Caird, Bronwyn Mills, Dariel Evans, Beth Clothier and Carina Kite, and Glenys Fulford, Jackie Crespin, Sylvia Chapman, Marilyn Sunley, Robin Piggot and Sharon Williams. One of the B-Grade teams finished second.

KILBIRNIE

In 1989 the Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club formed a relationship with our sister club in Wellington, the Kilbirnie Tennis Club.

This association came about largely through the efforts of good friends in Margaret Wood, a former member of our Club, and Graham Alderton, a long time stalwart of the Kilbirnie Club.

A proposal was put before both committees that we commence an arrangement whereby each Club would visit the other Club bi-annually

Photo caption –

Ladies mid week Interclub A Grade winners 1998-99 season. From left: Angie Ward, Rachel Warn, Margaret Hall, Robyn Stallard. Absent: Lu Nauer, Tori Morrison.

Page 25

each March or April on both a social and competitive basis.

The first visit in the same year saw Kilbirnie come to us and play for what is known as the Ruth Gotlieb Shield, a magnificent gold trophy, which was presented by Ms Gotlieb, then a local body councillor for Wellington City, in order to commemorate each battle between the Clubs.

These visits are eagerly anticipated by those involved each year and the host Club is traditionally generous in its hospitality.

SOCIAL SCENE

In the mid-eighties the Club began transforming itself into a more vital entity. More emphasis was placed on Interclub and Tournament play in an effort to raise the profile of the Club.

With that in mind the social side evolved to balance the environment.

A specialist position of Social Director was developed.

Members began developing closer bonds with each other which came naturally through the team atmosphere whether on the court, with committee work, Club Day or project/fundraising work.

Regular trips were undertaken where more often than not the tennis racquets were left at home.

Life-long friendships were forged and indeed a few marriages, which will help this proud Club survive into the next millennium.

The highlight of opening day of the 1999-2000 season was the cutting of the ribbon to officially open the new decking around the pavilion. The decking had been built by working bees of Club members under the leadership of project convenor Gary Patton.

As the Club moves into the new

Photo captions –

Taupo Tennis Trip 1987: Ron Garrick, David Payne, Russell Cross, Glenys Fulford, Graeme Fulford, Lesley Stephen, Jim Stephen.

Kilbirnie Tennis Trip 1997. Back row: Gary Patton, Melanie Garrick (nee Wilkinson), Ron Garrick, Graeme Fulford, Tim Thompson, Kim Peterson. Front row: Hugh Bruce, Darren Christensen, Glenys Fulford, Jackie Crespin.

Page 26

millennium one of the first projects planned will be to re-surface courts 4 and 5 in Omni-Ultra. Other changes will take place because since the Club has moved to Anderson Park No. 2 members have always looked for new ways to improve and upgrade Club facilities.

Photo caption – Opening Day, 18th September 1999. On the new decking: Bob Christensen, Nigel Ralph, Hugh Bruce, Ron Garrick.

Page 27

ANDERSON PARK No 2
HAVELOCK NORTH
LAWN TENNIS CLUB Inc.

1966 –

PAVILION No 1 1966-78

VOLLEY BOARD 1979

SQUASH PAVILION 1979-92

DOOR   1982

8
1989   GRASS

PAVILION 1992

7
1979    ASPHALT
1989   PLEXIPAVE

6
1979   ASPHALT
1989   PLEXIPAVE

1
1966   GRASS
1975   RE-GRASSED
1999   RE-GRASSED

2
1966   GRASS
1997   OMNI ULTRA

3
1966   GRASS
1997   OMNI ULTRA

4
1966   GRASS
1982   ASPHALT
1989   PLEXIPAVE

5
1966   GRASS
1982   ASPHALT
1989   PLEXIPAVE

Diagram showing when court surfaces were laid and altered and buildings constructed on Anderson Park No 2. Courts.

Page 28

Chapter 4

Life Members

Up until 1999 twelve people have been elected Life Members of the Club. The first was Ralph Liley in 1952. Ralph had been a stalwart of the Club, being first recorded as a member in 1919. A very tall man at 6ft 1in he was a fine player and a very keen administrator serving as President in 1949 and Treasurer for many years. In 1979 Mrs Flora Liley and daughter Julia donated the Ralph Liley Memorial Cup, which replaced the Heenan Cup for the Ladies’ Singles Champion.

Life Membership was conferred on 13 September 1979 to three honoured members – Jeannie Litchfield, Les Jones and Bill Fletcher. Jeannie was a long-serving member of the Club along with her husband Alan. Jeannie was honoured for her service in coaching juniors at both the Domain and Anderson Park courts. Les was one of the Club’s real characters, a player with lovely clean strokes, a generous benefactor for the Club over the years and a keen participator at all working bees. Les may have been unique in that he played at the Club at all three venues, Joll Road, the Domain and Anderson Park. He first appears in the Tennis club records in 1933 and was still active on the courts over 50 years later. One of his great memories was attending Wimbledon with his wife Ida. For many years Les and Ida and their very good friends Ian and Gwen Moran attended the Benson and Hedges tennis tournament in Auckland. Bill Fletcher was a very capable left-hander and a very good doubles player. He was Club Captain from 1961 until 1965 and was very active in establishing the new courts at Anderson Park No. 2. Bill left Havelock North to live in Rotorua.

In 1981 Life Membership was conferred on Stan Esam in recognition for the many years he served the Club as Auditor. Judith Klingender, Beth and John Clothier were elected Life Members in 1986. A member of the committee for many years, Judith was very active in fostering Junior Tennis. Beth, also a committee member for many years, helped organise midweek tennis and midweek interclub teams, was active in fostering Junior Tennis and was involved in fund-raising activities and organising tournaments. John was President from 1976 until 1984, a time when the Club was starting its spurt of growth.

John and Margaret Griffiths became Life Members in 1990. Margaret was Vice- President from 1983 until 1990 and a very active committee member during that time. John and Margaret were very hands-on workers for the Club, helping at working bees and organising tournaments and fund-raising activities. Their help in providing bridging finance with interest-free loans helped the Club when upgrading the courts and building the pavilion.

Bob Christensen became a Life Member in 1994. Bob was President from 1985 until 1988 and an active committee member before and after that time. A New Zealand qualified coach, Bob has been involved in coaching juniors for the last 20 years and is still doing so. Bob also became Chairman of the Hawke’s Bay Lawn Tennis Association, signalling a wider involvement by Havelock North in Hawke’s Bay tennis. In 1999 Bob was elected a Life Member of the Hawkes Bay Lawn Tennis Association, the first member of our Club to be so honoured and only the fifth Life Member of the Association.

In 1997 Ron Garrick was elected a Life Member. Ron was President from 1991 until 1995. The club continued to grow in all-round strength at this time. Social visits were

Page 29

arranged to Masterton and Taupo and another highlight was the establishment of a very enjoyable social visit on an annual home or away visit to Kilbirnie. In 1993 Ron Garrick donated the Garrick Cup in order to acknowledge the Player of the Season in relation to overall results and excellence.

Page 30

Office Holders

(for convenience the year mentioned is the second year of the season e. g. 1990 is the 1989-90 season)

Patrons

1928-29   Sir George Hunter
1930-44   J. Chambers
1945-57   W. N. Barron
1958   R. W. Liley
1967-75   P. H. Parker
1976-94   L. E. Jones
1995-    J. Clothier

Presidents

1917   Mr Powdrill [Powdrell]
1927-36   P.F. Hunter
1937-45   J. J. Nimon
1946-48   A. Pearce
1949   R. W. Liley
1950   N. R. Smith
1951-52   R. Butler
1953   N. R. Smith
1954-55   R. W. Horner
1958   Nola Toogood
1959-65   D. Goldman
1966-68   R O’Neill
1969-72   P. N. Lorck
1973-75   G. Fulford
1976-84   J. Clothier
1985-88   R. Christensen
1989-90   M. Quelch
1991-95   R. Garrick
1996-99   K. Shannon
2000   D. Kennedy

Club Captains

1948   E. Watts
1949-53   R. Horner
1954-55   H. Liley
1957   R. Horner
1961-65   W.J. Fletcher
1966   P. N. Lorck
1977-78   Graeme Fulford
1979   C. F. Smith
1980   Glenys Fulford
1981   C. F. Smith, J. Klingender
1982-83   M. Fowler
1984-85   R. Libby
1986-89   R. Garrick, L. Stephen
1990   V. Curle, A. Tod
1991   M. Quelch. A. Tod
1992   R. Christensen. J. Penny
1993   A. Ward
1994   M. Quelch, J. Day
1995   M. Quelch
1996   D. Nicholson
1997   B. Giddons, J. Crespin
1998   J. Crespin
2000   R. Stallard, R. Hall

Secretaries

1927-28   A. F. Smith
1929-32   A. Webb
1933-38   A. H. Eddie
1939   R. Butler
1940-42   Miss E. Heenan
1944-45   Mrs Weymouth
1946   E. R. Beaumont
1947-48   R. Horton
1951-55   H. Penman
1958   Mrs T. Harrison
1959-60   C. Shanley
1961-63   Mrs D. Kinniburgh
1964   G. Foster
1965-69   M. C. Parker
1970-76   F. G. Scherf
1977-79   N. Fergus
1980-84   P. Byrne
1985-89   J. Griffiths
1990-93   M. Wilkinson
1994   A. Ward
1995-96   M. MacMillan
1997-98   K. Peterson
1999   K. Peterson, L. Roberts
2000   L. Roberts, M. Garrick

Page 31

Treasurers

1927-32   R.W. Liley
1933-34   T.L. Blair
1936-39   H. G. Marshall
1940   R. Butler
1941-42   Miss E. Treneman
1944-45   Mrs Weymouth
1947-48   R.W. Liley
1949-56   Miss S. Redpath
1957-58   Mrs R. Horner
1959   C. Shanley
1961-62   Mrs D. Kinniburgh
1964   G. Foster
1965-69   M. C. Parker
1970-76   F. G. Scherf
1977-79   N. Fergus
1980-84   P. Byrne
1985-87   Mrs G. Fulford
1988-93   Mrs B. Penny (nee Treadwell)
1994   M. Brimmer
1995-96   C. Petersen (nee Gerbes)
1997-98   H. Hughes
2000   K. Shannon

Page 32

Club Champions

Men’s Singles
Woodham Memorial Cup

1948   E. Watts
1949   P. Colvin
1950   J. Smillie
1951   P. Colvin
1952-53   J. Smillie
1966   G. Field
1969   W.J. Fletcher
1970,71.74   F. G. Scherf
1977   B. Lockhart
1978   G. Kinnear
1979   J. Penny
1980-82   P. Moore
1983   R. Christensen
1984   P. Sewell
1985-88   G. Bramwell
1989   N. Potts
1990   D. Shapcott
1991-92   J. Penny
1993   R. Christensen
1994-95   G. Petersen
1996   S. Wilson
1997   G. Petersen
1998   R. Christensen
1999-00   T Hinton

Ladies’ Singles
Heenan Cup (until 1977)
Ralph Liley Cup (since 1977)

1942   G. Moran
1948-49   S. Woodham
1950   R. Joll
1951   E. Wake
1952   E. Toulmin
1953   J. Shanley
1960   M. Joll
1969   B. Clothier
1971-74   M. Svendsen
1977   B. Clothier
1978   J. Higham
1979-81   E. Pearce
1982-88   M. Burgess
1989   M. Wood
1990   H. Nelson
1991-92   L. Penny
1993   K. Smith
1994   J. Day
1995   S. McNeill
1996-98   J. Day
1999   C. Renall
2000   M. Hall (previously M. Burgess)

Men’s Doubles
H. W. Blackmore Cup

1966   W.J. Fletcher & B Halstead
1969   W.J. Fletcher & P Lorck
1974   F. Scherf & M. Scherf
1977-80   G. Fulford & D. Fulford
1981   R. Cross & M. Fowler
1982   P. Moore & R. Christensen
1983   G. Fulford & R. Christensen
1984   G. Fulford & L. Cockeram
1985   G. Bramwell & R. Carrington
1986   R. Cross & H. Greig
1987   G. Bramwell & N. Potts
1988   G. Bramwell & R. Carrington
1989   G. Fulford & R. Garrick
1990   D. Shapcott & J. Libby
1991   R. Garrick & J. Penny
1992   R. Carrington & J. Libby
1993   J. Penny & S. O’Donnell
1994   R. Garrick & R. O’Donnell
1995   R. Garrick & M. Bell
1996   A. Reynolds & J. Penny
1997   G. Petersen & T. Hinton
1998   R. Garrick & D. Christensen
1999   R. Garrick & J. Penny
2000   R. Garrick & T. Hinton

Page 33

Ladies’ Doubles
Leicester and Sons Cup

1953   T. Harrison & W. Toogood
1966   J. Van Asch & D. Russell
1969   B. Clothier & M. Svendsen
1974   V Perry & M. Svendsen
1977   B. Clothier & T. H. Lys
1978   R. Donnelly & J. Higham
1979   K. Frost & B. Clothier
1980   E. Pearce & D. Shrimpton
1981   J. Day & R. Fowles
1982-84   J. Haste & E. Pearce
1985   R. Fowles & D. Grinlaubs
1986   G. Smith & M. Griffiths
1987-1988   M. Burgess & M. Wood
1989   M. Wood & M. Mossman
1990   H. Nelson & R. McGregor
1991   A. Tod & M. Libby
1992   L. Penny & A. Ward
1993   V Morrison & A. Ward
1994   L. Stephen & K. Smith
1995   K. Frost & S. Ross
1996   M. McMillan & V Small
1997   J. Day & L Nauer
1998-99   L. Nauer & C. Renall
2000   J. Day & L Nauer

Mixed Doubles
Les Jones Cup (since 1977)

1927   H. Eddie & E. Nimon
1929   W. Webb & A. Webb
1930   H. Eddie & E. Blair
1933   H. Eddie & L. Cornwall
1948   T. Campbell & R. Joll
1949   P. Colvin & D. Toulmin
1950   R. Horton & R. W. Horner
1951   P. Colvin & E. Wake
1952   B. Irvine & D. Toulmin
1967   P. O’Neill & M. Joll
1969-1971   J. W. Fletcher & S.C. Parker
1977   B. Lockhard [Lockhart] & C. Tweedie
1978   C. Smith & R. Donnelly
1979   P. Clothier & J. Higham
1980   P. Clothier & M. Cooper
1981   P. Moore & K. Frost
1983   R. Moffat & K. Frost
1984   G. Bramwell & E. Pearce
1985   G. Bramwell & K. Frost
1986   G. Bramwell & G. Smith
1987-88   G. Bramwell & M. Wood
1989   G. Fulford & M. Wood
1990   R. Garrick & R. McGregor
1991   J. Penny & L. Penny
1992   S. O’Donnell & K. Frost
1993   J. Penny & K. Smith
1994   G. Petersen & J. Seeto
1995   R Araia & J. Orbell
1997   R. Garrick & L. Nauer
1998   R. Garrick & C. Glenny
1999   D. Christensen & L Nauer
2000   T. Hinton & L Roberts

Most Improved Player
P H Parker Cup

1968   M. Svendsen
1969   R. McEwon
1977   G. Fulford
1978   J. Penny
1979   R. Cross
1980   C. Sayers
1981   L. Tiedeman
1982   M. Quelch
1983   R. Tomlinson
1984   J. Ebbett
1985   D. Christensen
1986   J. Stephen
1987   R. Garrick
1988   S. Sowersby
1989   B. Treadwell
1990   S. O’Donnell
1991   R. O’Donnell
1992   B. Gilbert
1993   H. Bruce
1994   J. Seeto
1995   M. Wilkinson
1996   S. Montgomery
1997   L. Nauer
1998   E. Hofstee
1999   L Donovan
2000   L. Roberts

Page 34

Club Dedication
Fletcher Cup

1981   N. Fergus
1982   J. Clothier
1983   J. Klingender
1984   B. Clothier
1985   M. and J. Griffiths
1986   R Byrne
1987   C. Sewell
1988-89   R. Christensen
1990   M. and J. Griffiths
1991   B. Treadwell
1992   D. Ward
1993   M. Quelch
1994   A. Ward
1995   R. Garrick
1996   C. and G. Petersen
1997   H. Bruce
1998   J. Crespin
1999   G. Stent
2000   K. Shannon

Player of the Season
Garrick Cup

1994   P. Araia
1995   G. Petersen
1996   S. Wilson
1997   R. Garrick
1998   D. Christensen
1999   C. Glenny & T. Hinton
2000   L. Nauer

The following junior players have represented Hawke’s Bay in the 1990’s:

Chelsea Young, Rachel Cameron, Julie Malone, Amy Hyde, Kate Hyde, Nane Araia, Luke Donovan, David Smythe, Scott Montgomery, Glen Montgomery, Dylan Walton, Shaun O’Donnell, Ryan O’Donnell, Olivia Brummer, Emma Brummer, Ruth Shannon, John Scott, Daniel Scott, Milly Hewat, Erica Hofstee, Greta Hinton, Kara Birnie, Stephanie Ward, Alex Lambert, Emma Bradshaw and Charity Nauer.

Four players gained Central Districts honours:
Scott Montgomery, Luke Donovan, Greta Hinton and Emma Brummer.

Researched and compiled by John Clothier.
Printed by Computer Print & Design, April 2000.

Original digital file

LileyJM2077-2_HNLawnTennisClub-1.pdf

Non-commercial use

Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ)

This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ).

 

Commercial Use

Please contact us for information about using this material commercially.

Description

Surnames in this booklet –

Agnew, Alderton, Anderson, Araia, Barren, Beaumont, Berkahn, Birnie, Black, Blair, Blair, Bradshaw, Bramwell, Bridgman, Brimmer, Bruce, Brummer, Burgess, Butler, Byrne, Caird, Cameron, Campbell, Carrington, Chambers, Chapman, Christensen, Clapperton, Clarkson, Clothier, Cockeram, Colvin, Cooper, Coplin, Cornes, Cornwall, Cottle, Crespin, Crombie, Crooks, Cross, Curle, Davidson, Davis, Day, Donnelly, Donovan, Dwyer, Ebbett, Eddie, Eddy, Esam, Evans, Fergus, Field, Fletcher, Foster, Fowler, Fowles, Franklin, Frater, Frost, Fulford, Gane, Garrick, Gerbes, Giddons, Gloyn, Goldman, Gotlieb, Graham, Greig, Griffiths, Hall, Halstead, Harrison, Haste, Heenan, Hewat, Higham, Hinton, Hofstee, Horner, Horton, Hughes, Hunter, Hyde, Irvine, Jardine, Joll, Jones, Kennedy, Kinnear, Kinniburgh, Kite, Klingender, Lambert, Lane, Lawson, Lay, Leech, Libby, Liley, Litchfield, Lockhart, Lorck, Lowry, Lys, Mackenzie, MacMillan, MacPhee, Malone, Marshall, McEwon, McGregor, McHardy, McMillan, McNeill, Millar, Miller, Mills, Moffat, Montgomery, Moore, Moran, Morrison, Mossman, Nash, Nauer, Nelson, Newman, Nimon, O’Donnell, O’Neill, Orbell, Palmer, Parker, Patton, Payne, Pearce, Penman, Penny, Perry, Petersen, Peterson, Phillips, Piggot, Potts, Powdrell, Quelch, Ralph, Rapley, Redpath, Reeve, Renall, Reynolds, Roberts, Rogers, Ross, Runciman, Russell, Sanders, Sayers, Scherf, Scott, Seeto, Sewell, Shanley, Shannon, Shapcott, Shrimpton, Shuker, Sivewright, Small, Smillie, Smith, Smythe, Sowersby, Stallard, Stephen, Sturm, Sugden, Sunley, Svendsen, Thompson, Tiedeman, Tilley, Tod, Tomlinson, Toogood, Toulmin, Treadwell, Treneman, Tweedie, Van Asch, Vennell, Wake, Walley, Walls, Walton, Ward, Warn, Watson, Watts, Waugh, Webb, Weymouth, Wheeler, Wilkinson, Williams, Wilson, Wood, Woodham, Young

Business / Organisation

Havelock North Lawn Tennis Club

Date published

1999

Format of the original

Booklet

Creator / Author

  • John Clothier

Accession number

441286

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.