Locomotive

(17)   Six of these little Class N 2-6-2 locomotives worked on the Hawke’s Bay line for a number of years. They were built by Baldwins (USA) in 1885 and first worked in the South Island. In 1899 Nos 34, 37 and 42 were transferred to the Napier section and Nos 27, 30 and 36 followed in 1901. These speedy little 50-ton engines, which were credited with reaching speeds of about 60mph with light trains were brought to Hawke’s Bay primarily to work the mail trains. The photograph shows N 34 at the old Petone workshops, where Hawke’s Bay engines once received heavy repairs and maintenance. Photograph: New Zealand Railways.

Original digital file

WheelerTF651_PlasticBag2_0034.jpeg

Non-commercial use

Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ)

This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ).

 

Commercial Use

Please contact us for information about using this material commercially.

Description

Excerpt from unknown book

Format of the original

Book excerpt

Accession number

529569

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.