THE HAWKE’S BAY HERALD-TRIBUNE SATURDAY EVENING, MARCH 9, 1940.
MONARCH MOTORS GARAGE
Magnificent New Building in Hastings
FORDS’ NEW HOME
THE MANAGEMENT OF MONARCH MOTORS LTD are proud to hold the FORD franchise for Hastings and Napier, and proud of the fact that within such a brief period they are to house the Hastings section of their business in such a magnificent new Garage situated in the main street opposite the town’s civic centre.
In making this bold forward move MONARCH MOTORS evince complete confidence in the future of Hastings and district, and faith in All-British Ford products from the 8 h.p. Runabout Car to the greatest of the V.8 Commercial Vehicles. With this franchise, a modern building and plant, skilled staff and prudent management, the Company looks forward to the future at the beginning of the Dominion’s second century with every confidence. Their trading policy will be one of equity to all, with a constant ambition to build and hold a prominent and honourable place in the commercial life of Hawke’s Bay.
The Home of R. & G. USED CARS
Opp. Municipal Buildings
HERETAUNGA ST., Hastings
Phone 3557 (2 lines)
HASTINGS STREET, NAPIER.
A special department has been created in the new Garage for specialised
Greasing and Lubrication
and the famous MARFAK system has been installed. This system is outstanding and is meeting with world-wide approval.
A . GARAGE . BUILT . FOR . A . CENTURY . OF . SERVICE
The Proprietor of the New Building
MR. G.M. SPENCER
A Man of Many Parts
Mr G.M.Spencer, who built the Garage for Messrs. Monarch Motors Ltd., has resided in Hastings for 35 years, during which period he has lived an exceedingly busy life. From ploughing contractor he went into the carrying business with some of the first motor-trucks on the road. He purchased a property in Heretaunga Street and established a bowser station, which is at present leased to Mr. F. Kelly. Mr Spencer still maintains a fleet of trucks and undertakes all classes of carrying. He is a director and substantial shareholder in the Hatuma Lime Coy. and is the Hawke’s Bay Agent for its products. He sells, carts and distributes many thousands of tons of HATUMA LIME annually. Mr. Spencer is agent also for the “AUTO-VAC” MILKER, which eliminates the stripping of cows and saves labour. Additionally he is the Hawke’s Bay representative[s] for the MUNRO TOP-DRESSER for manure and lime distributing.
On the site of the present Garage, Mr Spencer conducted the well-known “Arcadia” Picture Theatre for a number of years, following the quake in 1931. It was in this disaster that his own big garage, completed almost to the day, was levelled to the ground. Literally, the new building has risen, “Phoenix-like, from the ashes of the old.” It is at once a spendid addition to the new business premises of Hastings and a substantial contribution to commercial welfare of the town and district.
THE MUNRO “TRIUMPH” TOPDRESSER, for which Mr. G.M. Spencer is the Hawke’s Bay Agent, has the following outstanding merits:
It is a phenomenal time, money and labour saver.
Fast or slow, uphill or down, it delivers an even spread.
It obviates buying three machines – it will (1) sow seeds, (2) sow fertiliser, (3) mix fertiliser.
It is attachable to a lorry, dray or trailer.
At ten miles an hour it sows an acre in 3½ minutes.
It is built for lightness and ease of handling.
A MODERN STRUCTURE BUILT FOR SERVICE
THE NEW GARAGE is built on the most modern lines to the design of MR. T.A. McDOWELL. The section fronting Heretaunga Street, opposite the Municipal Library, is  feet wide, and extends right through the block to Queen Street. Naturally, the building has been designed to give a maximum of floor space, and the main area is so extensive that it should serve for many years. In any event there is ample room for extension.
The frontage has two floors, the second floor accommodating the main administrative office and sales staff, whilst the lower floor of the double storey building, are the showroom, enquiry offices, and other clerical accommodation.
Built in the wings of the main floor and occupying extensive areas, are the spare parts department and waiting rooms, whilst the workshop section is equipped with every modern engineering device applicable to the modern garage for the repair and service of all makes of cars.
The car wash, hydraulic hoists, etc., occupy a substantial area outside the main building at the Queen Street end.
The mechanics employed by Monarch Motors are highly skilled, factory-trained men. Included in the equipment available to staff is a Ford Laboratory Test for testing cars. This set not only saves time (and clients’ money) but eliminates all guess work in searching for faults in any make of car.
Heading the sales staff are Messrs, Bill Hellyer and George Grierson, both very well known Hawke’s Bay salesmen.
The contractors for the building are: Builder, MR. T. HILL; Painter Mr. W.H. Lee; Electrician, MESSRS E.F. LEICESTER & SONS; Fibrous Plaster, MR. FRANK L. COWLICK; Plumber, MR. C. BONE.
MR. J.W. JONES.
Manager, Monarch Motors, Hastings.
THE MEN WHO BUILT THE NEW GARAGE –
MONARCH MOTORS’ NEW GARAGE
was carried out by
We specialise in all classes of Electrical Work in both….
TOWN AND COUNTRY
Let Us Quote You
The Contractor for This
601 ST AUBYN STREET – HASTINGS.
FOR YOUR NEXT BUILDING JOB
Large or Small
ASK US FOR A QUOTE
LET LEE DO IT
If you require a satisfactory Painting
or Paperhanging job consult…..
511E. LYNDON ROAD – HASTINGS
PAINTER & PAPERHANGER
We Guarantee that in every job we
undertake we supply First-Class
Materials and Best Workmanship.
The Plumbing Work for
was carried out by
HERETAUNGA STREET – HASTINGS
It is well to remember that a good building
deserves and demands good plumbing and the
best of materials.
LET US DO YOUR NEXT JOB
THE HAWKE’S BAY HERALD-TRIBUNE SATURDAY EVENING, MARCH 9, 1940.
Ross, Dysart & McLean
ENTER THEIR SECOND QUARTER CENTURY
OVER A QUARTER OF A CENTURY AGO, this new well-known Firm commenced business as Coach Builders in a rented two storied wooden building on Karamu Road opposite their present premises.
Through their enterprise and service to the public, this Firm progressed sufficiently to enable them to erect a large brick building on the corner of Karamu Road and Eastbourne Street. With the erection of this new building they progressed with the times and took up motor-car agencies and extended their departments to Motor Body Building, Car Painting, Engineering, Repair Shop and Bowser Station.
The 1931 earthquake severely damaged their property, but with true pioneer spirit R.D.M. rebuilt their premises and carried on. They also weathered the depression,and four years ago extended their premises, and their two large corner buldings are now attractive and well-known Hastings landmarks.
From comparatively small beginnings this business has climbed to be now known as one of the most prominent firms in Hawke’s Bay.
THEIR “COMPLETE CAR SERVICE” WORKSHOPS are noted for the efficient and up-to-date equipment, and service to the public. On the opposite corner the Showrooms and Sales Department are well known for the alluring display of motor-cars of reputable make. Having been appointed agents for General Motors Products, the popular “OLDSMOBILE”, known as “the car that has everything,” features in this display.
Ross, Dysart & McLean, Limited,pioneered in Hawke’s Bay the SINGER Cars, and the fame of this all-British product now speaks for itself. During the last three or four years thay have been direct importers for this production.
The 1939 model Singer Car justify, to an even greater degree, the reputation won for high performance and reliability. To-day, more than ever before, the Singer is a luxury Car at a popular price.
To add to the range of Cars, STUDEBAKER and WILLYS OVERLAND also play a prominent part.
EVER ALIVE TO THE PUBLIC NEEDS, another novel and popular feature has been added, i.e., a Caravan Department. R.D.M. have been appointed agents for TANNER TRAILERS, LIMITED, who are the largest firm of Caravan manufacturers in New Zealand. They have already sold a number of these in this district and are expanding the department to meet demand as the public get more caravan-minded and appreciate the meaning ot the Tanner slogan: “A Home Away From Home,” or “A Home On Wheels.”
“SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC” is R.D.M.’s motto, and included in this service they have made available to their clients easy and confidential terms.
Not the least of this Firm’s activities is the benefit to Hastings created by the employment of a large staff. The fact that the majority of these employees have been with the Firm for many years speaks for the faithful and harmonious spirit which exists in the united efforts to serve the public, who have accorded their loyal patronage.
ROSS, DYSART & McLEAN
KARAMU ROAD. HASTINGS
1857 – 1940
THE HAWKE’S BAY HERALD-TRIBUNE
In its 83rd Year of Service to Hawke’s Bay
IN ITS EARLY YEARS of publication the Hawke’s Bay Herald as the paper was then known, was distributed throughout Hawke’s Bay by pack horse, horse coach and rowing boat. This district-wide circulation has been maintained right through its long history until to-day practically every portion of the province is now covered by motor deliveries in the afternoon of the day of publication.
FROM the Hawke’s Bay Tribune the Herald-Tribune has inherited the traditions and connections of the influential which has served the interests of Hastings and its highly-productive district for thirty years. The Tribune was MADE by Hastings and The Tribune has helped make Hastings.
RECOGNISED as one of the Dominion’s foremost provincial journals the Hawke’s Bay Herald-Tribune has played a big part in the remakable progress made by the province. Widely read throughout Town and Country it is looked upon as the accepted medium for advertising for the town of Hastings and the large country area through which the Herald-Tribune is circulated.
THE HAWKE’S BAY HERALD-TRIBUNE
Napier Waipukurau Havelock North
THE FRUIT INDUSTRY – and a BUSINESS ROMANCE
1917 Annual Wages £52 – 1940 Annual Wages £7000
In 1917 Mr.C.H.Slater, the managing director, commenced business in Hastings as a wholesale fruit and produce merchant in a very modest way. About 10,000 cases of fruit were handled yearly and growers received an average of about 6/- a bushel case ungraded. In 1922 this business had developed to such an extent that further capital was required. This was immediately forthcoming, and the present premises were purchased. The record of C.H.Slater Ltd. has been one of exceptional progress. To-day the premises contain the most up-to-date packing and grading plant in the Dominion.
OUR MODERN PACKING AND GRADING PREMISES. ST. AUBYN STREET, HASTINGS
C.H. SLATER LTD.
Wholesale Fruit Distributors Cool Store Proprietors
St. AUBYN STREET – HASTINGS
TO ILLUSTRATE OUR GROWTH WE GIVE THE FOLLOWING FIGURES:-
1917 – Wages paid for the year, 52 pounds
1931 – Building destroyed by earthquake and fire. Immediately rebuilt.
1934 – Handled 144,000 cases Apples, 51,000 cases Pears, 13,700 cases Peaches, 3,300 cases Plums and large quantities of Tomatoes, etc.
1938 – Wages paid for the year, 7000 pounds.
1940 – Working at capacity – output 1500/2000 cases Apples and Pears packed daily.