Newspaper Article 1896 – Mr Lane to Miss Nelson

MR LANE TO MISS NELSON.

THE church of St. Matthew’s, Hastings, was filled to the doors with a fashionable congregation to witness the marriage of Miss Ida Maud Nelson, eldest daughter of Mr William Nelson of Waikoko, Tomoana, and Mr John Edward Lane, of Mangateretere and Chesterhope.

THE wedding was intended to be a private one, but that did not prevent the many friends of the bride and bridegroom from testifying their esteem and respect for them by their presence. The choir were all present and sang two hymns and a cauticle.

AT 11.30 the bridal party walked up the aisle, the choir singing ‘How welcome is the Call,’ the bride being led to the altar by her father. There was only one bridesmaid – Miss Hilda M. Nelson, the bride’s youngest sister. Mr E. W. Nelson acted the part of best man.

THE Ven. Archdeacon S. Williams impressively performed the solemn service. Mr Hobbs, who is at present on a holiday, returned especially for the occasion. After the ceremony was concluded the choir sang the hymn, ‘Oh, Perfect Love.’ The altar was tastefully decorated with white flowers and evergreens.

THE bride looked lovely in a white silk dress, the bodice daintily trimmed with chiffon, very full Bishop sleeves with frill of chiffon down them, and a white velvet hat trimmed with feathers; she carried a beautiful bouquet of maidenhair fern and white flowers.

THE little bridesmaid looked very pretty in cream crepon trimmed with yellow, yellow and cream lace hat and bouquet.

MRS NELSON wore a stylish black dress and mantle, and small black bonnet with flowers; Mrs C. A. Smith (sister of the bride) had a pretty fawn crepon costume, black lace hat with roses ; Mrs W. H. Nelson, stylish tweed, large picture hat with feathers ; Miss Eva Nelson, cream and white spotted muslin, black hat with pink roses; Miss Gertrude Nelson, black and white check tweed dress, fawn straw hat trimmed with green; Miss Hawk, white muslin, green velvet collar and belt; Mrs Frank Nelson dark skirt, blouse, and sailor hat; Misses Gertrude and Elsie Williams, dark skirts blouses, and toques; Mrs (Colonel) Fox, white muslin, sailor hat; Mrs Samuel Williams, black dress and mantle, black bonnet with pink tips; Mrs. J. N. Williams black crepon dress, black bonnet with magenta flowers Mrs Galway, stylish fawn tweed, black bonnet with tips; Mrs King, tweed dress trimmed with velvet; Miss Edith Williams, light tweed, pretty toque. Amongst, others were Mrs Philson, Mrs Tom Crosse, Miss St. Hill, Miss Gleeson, Mrs Townsend, Mrs Beetham, Mrs (Capt.) Russell. Mrs Lowry, the Misses Lowry, Mrs Northe, Miss Amy Hadfield, Mrs W. H. Smith, Miss Nina Tanner, Miss Lucy Williams, Mrs Joe Williams, Lady Whitmore, Mrs Dixon, Miss Kate Williams, Mr Harry Nelson, Mr Mont Nelson, Mr Oswald Nelson, Mr George Nelson, Mr Ernest Nelson, Mr Frank Nelson, Master Jack Nelson, C. A. Smith, of ‘Alrig [Olrig].’ Mr Harold Russell, and numerous others.

ON re-entering the church the happy pair were greeted with the Wedding March.

MR AND MRS LANE proceeded at once to ‘Olrig,’ where they will spend their honeymoon. Their permanent residence will be at Chesterhope.

Original digital file

WalmsleyMJ826_Scrapbook2_048c.jpg

Date published

April 1896

Format of the original

Newspaper article

Accession number

420264

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.