Mr. A. Williams
The death has occurred of Mr. Alick Williams, of St. Lawrence station, a member of a well-known Hawke’s Bay pioneer family, his father being the late Mr. John Williams, a son of the late Rev. Henry Williams, says a “Dominion” Special Service message.
Born in the Bay of Islands in 1861, Mr. Alick Williams went to Hawke’s Bay in the early eighties, and when about 18 years of age worked on Te Aute station. Later he worked for a period as a stock agent with the late Mr William Nelson in Hawke’s Bay, and became one of the founders of the well-known stock agency ﬁrm of Abraham and Williams, Ltd. After being with that ﬁrm for about ﬁve years he resigned to take over the management of Pourere [Pourerere] station for Mr. William Busby. At this time Pourere station was one of the very big holdings in the province, being more than 30,000 acres in extent. In 1901 he went to manage St. Lawrence station, then a property of 16,000 acres, for Archdeacon Williams, and he had remained on this property ever since.
Five years before taking over the management of St. Lawrence station, Mr. Williams married Miss Edith Ida Cooper, Wellington, a daughter of the late Mr. G.C. Cooper. Mrs. Williams died in 1924, and several years later Mr. Williams married again, his second wife being Miss A. M. Sugden, Feilding, who survives him.
In his younger days Mr. Williams was a keen sportsman and was a prominent Rugby and polo player, attaining representative honours in both games. He was a member of the Manawatu polo team which scored one of the earliest successes in the Saville Cup competition.
Mr. Williams had wide experience of all branches of farming, and he was associated with the early development of some of the best-known stations in the province. His judgement of live stock, particularly cattle, gave him the highest reputation among farmers and dealers. He leaves a widow and two sons and two daughters by his ﬁrst wife: Mr. R.D. Williams, Ponue station, Otane; Mr. R.C. Williams, Te Waikaha, Havelock North; Miss E.M. Williams, St. Lawrence station; and Mrs. E.T.C. Wigley, Waipu Cove.
The funeral took place at Havelock North.