Pakipaki School Jubilee Decorations
The Pakipaki School, which is celebrating its 50-year jubilee this weekend, has always had a predominantly Maori roll so it is appropriate that a feature of the decorations should be a gateway with a Maori design. The design of the gateway, shown above, has a historical significance connected with the Maori people of the district. Standing by it is (at left) Mr. A. W. McDonald, chairman of the jubilee committee, and other helpers who were busy at the school this morning putting the finishing touches to the decorations.
Maori Chief Gave Land for First Pakipaki School
The Pakipaki School is celebrating its jubilee this weekend. The school was opened in 1907 with a roll of 60-odd. The present school building is the second one, the first having been destroyed by fire in 1922.
The original school was built on land donated by a Maori chief, Urupeni Puhara Hawaikirangi.
The chief’s intention was that it should be a Maori school. Though this did not eventuate, the school has always had a predominantly Maori roll. At present 85 per cent. of the pupils are Maoris.
The school teacher’s residence next to the school was built in 1908.
Fortunately, the school rolls were saved when the building was burnt, and the jubilee committee has been able to find out the names of early pupils.
The destruction of the school did not mean a holiday for the children as school was immediately continued in the local hall.
The first two teachers, who were temporary, were Mr. Warburton and Miss Wellwood. The first teacher appointed permanently was Mr. W. Smith. Mr. B. Lynskey is the present head teacher. The school has a roll of 110 and a teaching staff of three.
The celebrations commenced last night with a fancy-dress party for the children, which was attended by a large number in a great variety of fancy costumes.
There was an informal get-together of ex-pupils at the school this afternoon. Former pupils have come from all parts of the North Island, including one from North Auckland.
Speakers this afternoon were Mr. C. G. E. Harker, M.P. for Hawke’s Bay, Mr. R. A. Nimon, chairman of the Hawke’s Bay County Council, Mr. T. B. McDonald, chairman of the Hawke’s Bay Education Board, and Mr. A. W. McDonald, chairman of the jubilee committee.
There are expected to be 230 guests at the jubilee dinner tonight in the Oddfellows’ Hall.
Divine service will be held at the school tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock. The final function will be a ball in the Hastings Assembly Hall on Monday night.