Holy Trinity church celebrates centennial
Woodville’s Holy Trinity Anglican Church celebrated it’s first 100 years at the weekend.
Mayor E.T. Cheer, in proposing the toast, spoke on what it must have been like 100 years ago when the people of Woodville began to establish the church.
“It was very heavy bush, few roads – mostly tracks” The wives and children of the pioneers rallied behind their men and they endured the hardships and appreciated the success.
The ﬁrst Anglican church was built in Vogel Street, opposite the town baths. It was moved from there to the present site, opposite Fountain Square, in 1901 where it was added to and served the Parish for over 60 years.
Concern about the deterioration of the structure in the early 50s saw the removal of the steeple for safety reasons. Repiling and paint did not solve any problems so it was decided that the church would be reuilt [rebuilt].
Many of the older members were upset by the move as they thought that some links with the past might be lost. But the church was grateful to the many people who provided furnishings from way back which were used in the original church.
The building being 10 years old and debt free is quite an achievement for a small congregation.
The cutting of the cake was carried out by the oldest member of the parish, Mrs E. C. Horne of Napier, who was baptised in Woodville in 1895.
“At the conclusion of the celebrations this weekend it should be our constant endeavour to be as helpful as we can to protect our Anglican heritage which has been handed down to us, Mr Cheer said.
Photo caption – Oldest member of Woodville’s Holy Trinity Anglican Church parish Mrs E.C. Horne, of Napier, cut the cake at the church’s centennial celebrations.