Newspaper Article 1998 – Finisher catches fire at Panpac

Finisher catches fire at Panpac [Pan Pac]

One of the finishing lines at the Whirinaki pulp mill will be out of action for at least two days after two fires at the mill last night.

Pulp mill manager Doug Ducker said that engineering work started the first fire in electrical cable trays around a bale-press on one of the three finishing lines at about 5.30pm.

He said while the damage would take some days to repair, the mill would only lose one day’s production.

The second fire started in a duct of one of the three driers, as a result of the fire in the electrical cabling.

Fortunately, one fire engine was still on stand-by at the mill when the second blaze broke out and spread to the roof.

Mr Ducker said it did not take long to put out and caused no residual damage from the second fire, mechanical or otherwise.

Fire-fighters finally left the mill at about midnight.

Mr Ducker said the fire was preventable and they would be reviewing procedures to make sure it did not happen again.

Original digital file


Non-commercial use

Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ)

This work is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand (CC BY-NC 3.0 NZ).


Commercial Use

Copyright on this material is owned by Hawke's Bay Today and is not available for commercial use without their consent.

Can you help?

The Hawke's Bay Knowledge Bank relies on donations to make this material available. Please consider making a donation towards preserving our local history.

Visit our donations page for more information.

Business / Organisation

Whirinaki Pulp Mill

Format of the original

Newspaper article

Date published

3 October 1998


  • Doug Ducker

Accession number


Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.