Historic Ongaonga cottages for sale
By Kate Taylor
Two historic cottages in Ongaonga have been offered for sale.
The first was built in Bridge St in 1909 for a Mr Harding, who died in the First World War.
It has a category two status with the Historic Places Trust.
It’s believed to have been used as a coaching station as it has a stable with a loft.
It is priced at $159,000.
Michelle Harvey bought the house in 1989, and soon after found and bought two pictures of the property, that were called The Stables.
The four-bedroom house has been refurbished. It has matai floors and native timber features , as well as three living areas, a separate kitchen and three fireplaces, including a wet-back.
The stable has been converted to a garage and the loft has been used as a craft shop.
The property is 4040 square metres and includes a paddock at the back of the house.
The second house in Taylor Rd, Ongaonga, is 103-years-old and has only had three owners.
It was built in 1895 by Andrew Taylor. He left the house to his housekeeper, Miss Beasley, when he died in 1938. She later became Mrs Buxton and lived there until Peter Laird bought the house in 1989.
The now-renovated house sits on 0.4 hectares of land and is on the market at $145,000.
It has three double bedrooms, three living areas and verandahs on three sides.
Both houses have been listed with Heather MacKenzie, L.J. Hooker.
Photo captions –
The Historic Places Trust-listed house in Bridge St that comes with old stables and a loft.
Far right: The 103-year-old Taylor Rd house.
Right: One of the fireplaces from the Taylor Rd house.