Historic HB homestead on market for first time
Matapiro Station, built in the 1870s, is looking for a new owner.
One of Hawke’s Bay’s most historic sheep stations is on the market for the first time since the 1870s.
Matapiro Station, on Matapiro Road, 28km west of Hastings, is being offered for sale by auction, complete with its stately wooden homestead which was built more than 100 years ago.
The Matapiro homestead is a Hawke’s Bay landmark, with its 13 bedrooms plus servants quarters and other buildings.
The sale includes 1882ha in three titles, part of it flat land in an area which is becoming increasingly popular for grapes.
Matapiro was settled in the early 1870s by Walter Shrimpton. His grandson, Matthew (Matt) Forde lives in a small part of the homestead, tending the terraced gardens.
The property is a significant part of Hawke’s Bay history and the homestead is original throughout.
It makes the most of the magnificent kauri, rimu, matai and totara timber used to build it.
The homestead was designed by architect T C [C T] Natusch, grandfather of Napier architect Guy Natusch.
The first part of the homestead was built in the 1870s and more was added as the family grew.
The top storey was added in 1905.
The homestead has its own library, office and schoolroom, seven fireplaces, and a large panelled dining room.
It has its own tiny chapel and substantial farm buildings.
It will be auctioned on November 1 and is being marketed jointly by Bayleys and Wrightsons.
Photo captions –
STAINED glass windows and native timber are striking features of the old homestead.
LONG covered verandas provide panoramic views of the Matapiro homestead grounds.
A child’s exercise book on a desk in the library.
FAMILY portraits of Matapiro’s founders.
MATTHEW FORDE, grandson of original Matapiro owner Walter Shrimpton, with a cannon which sits in front of the historic homestead.
THE small chapel in the homestead grounds, dedicated to founder Walter Shrimpton.