Newspaper Article – History of Breweries

History of breweries

The history of Leopard Breweries has run parallel with the development of Hastings from a village to a city.

In 1870 a small brewery was established in Hastings, which was then a village of only a few hundred.

In 1881 the brewery was taken over by the late Mr Edward Newbigin, and given the name Burton’s Brewery.

From 1881 till 1956 the brewery remained under the control of the Newbigin family.

In 1956 the late Mr D. H. Newbigin, who had succeeded his father as owner and manager, sold the business to the present company sponsored by Fraser and Neave Ltd, and Malayan Breweries.

Original digital file

NewbiginEJD535_DudleyHarmoodNewbigin_015a_BreweryNewsclip.jpg

Business / Organisation

Leopard Brewery

Format of the original

Newspaper article

People

  • Edward Newbigin
  • Dudley H Newbigin

Accession number

535/1552/38381

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.