Work is underway on the demolition of the Hawke’s Bay Farmers Co-Operative Association’s old seed and grain store on the corner of Queen and Market Streets in Hastings.
The wood and corrugated iron building, known as the “old green shed,” is more than 65 years old, but it has been owned by the Farmers since 1910. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter, it was once crammed with seed and gas-driven machinery.
When Farmer’s main shop and offices burned down just before the Second World War, it was used as the company’s showroom, store and offices. In the 1931 earthquake the two-storey section split away from the single-storey section and the two were drawn together again with No. 8 wire. The building is being pulled down “before it falls down,” but the company has no immediate plans for the site.