HASTINGS MAIL, MARCH 10, 2010 15
Celebrating 150 years
IN 1892, the first vineyards are planted in Havelock North at Te Mata by Bernard Chambers, the third son of John Chambers, and the first vintage bottled the following year.
Bernard had the original vision for wine production all the north-facing hillside slopes bordering Havelock North after observing similar, successful wine growing conditions in France.
Two of Havelock’s three independent boarding schools begin life just prior to the turn of the century in, of all places, Hastings.
Heretaunga School, a private school for boys, opens in Hastings in 1882 before moving to Havelock in 1913. The school changes its name to Hereworth in 1927.
Woodford House is opened in Hastings in 1894 by Miss M Hodge, an English school mistress from Cheltenham, with 18 day girls and four boarders. Land is purchased on the hills of Havelock North for it to be moved in February 1911.
Encouraged by the success of these first two schools, support for a Presbyterian girls’ college in Havelock North grows and Iona College opens later in 1914.
Around the same time that a Town Board is being mooted in March 1910, the township’s chief postmaster suggests Havelock, Hawke’s Bay, should change its name to avoid confusion with the other Havelock, situated on Pelorus Sound in the South island.
Locals are incensed and 100 of them gather in protest. After a second protest. a newspaper article dated July 21, 1910, proclaims “Havelock still Havelock: The Reverend Name Retained”. But while a name change is not enforced, from this time on Havelock North is used informally.
The debate over the name change holds up the formation of the first Town Board. It is not until 1912 that Mason Chambers is elected as its first chairman, alongside commissioners J.A. Joll, A.H. Bale. L.T. Cooper and J.G. Nimon.
Havelock’s reputation as a spiritual and philosophical centre is paved by the formation of The Havelock Work in 1907, an arts and literary group.
They hold musical and dramatic events, run arts and crafts classes and publish a Journal from a press installed in the chalet of ‘Stadacona’, the home built by T.H.R. Gardiner in 1908. In 1910 the property is bought by Charles Tanner who renames it Keirunga, meaning ‘on high’ in Maori.
Mr George Nelson, a founder of the Hawke’s Bay Herald Tribune, purchases Keirunga in 1929 at the age of 57. His wife Elizabeth provided afternoons for her friends including garden walks and a meeting place for ‘serious talk’.
When Nelson dies aged 93 in 1964, Keirunga Homestead and the remaining 2½ acres not already gifted to the Havelock North Borough Council are purchased to become a park and recreation area.
The growth of Havelock North is stunted by Hastings and its railway line, and in 1911 the population remains at 500. In 1914, the Post Office is built; the Havelock North Volunteer Fire Brigade commences operations in 1920; and in 1921 the Havelock North Public Baths open in the Domain.
In 1927, John Chambers, Bernard Chambers and Mason Chambers give in trust 242 acres of land to be used as a park and recreational area: Te Mata Trust Park.
Maori legend has it that Rongokako, the ancestor of all the iwi of Ngati Kahungunu, falls in love with daughter of a Heretaunga chief and is set a series of difficult tasks to prove his worthiness, including eating his way through the hill that separates the two tribes.
The task kills him and looking towards the Peak from Hastings, the huge bits that choked Rongokako can be seen, while the outline of his body forms the skyline. The Peak was then known as Te Mata O Rongokako meaning “The Face of Rongokako”.
Photo captions –
Mrs and Ms [Mr and Mrs] Bernard Chambers astonished locals with Havelock’s first car – a 1902 Oldsmobile.
Nimon’s Horse Bus on the road to Hastings, probably before 1914. Joe Nimon has the reins. Nimon’s and Sons was established in 1905, taking over a business established in l874.
ROSE & SHAMROCK
your Village local Est 1996
winners of the best
“Outstanding Traditional Pub Award”
Hawke’s Bay 2008 & 2009
Cnr Napier Rd & Porter Drive, Havelock North
Phone (06) 877 2999 [www].roseandshamrock.co.nz
DINE WITH US AT HAVELOCK NORTH’S
MOST HISTORICAL BUILDING
Mains from $20
Steaks from $24
2 Havelock Road
by the Roundabout,
Ph (06) 877 1714
FUNCTION & CONFERENCE CENTRE
Come and see us when you’re planning your next function and see what great facilities we have to offer.
4 Campbell Street Havelock North Ph. (06) 877 8722
E: [email protected] [www].villageclub.co.nz
PURE Catering Ltd.
Corporate & Special Events
– Quality Function Venue –
or we can come to you
PHONE: 877 9080
Havelock North Community Centre Te Mata Rd
the napier mail Community Newspaper the hastings mail the Country Scene
North 150 years
STILL RESHODDING YOUR
MODE OF TRANSPORT
TOTAL TYRE SOLUTIONS
In 1860 Havelock North had a local blacksmith, today 150 years later, the local tyre shop provides a similar service – looking after the locals, whether car, tractor, ATV, even the lawnmower.
TYRE & ALIGNMENT
9 Donnelly Street, Havelock North
Ph: 877 0004
Email: [email protected]