In 1946 two sisters Gwen and Ruth Nelson purchased Kereru Station. It was in poor condition and overrun with rabbits. They then purchased the adjacent Big Hill Station to carry the stock while they set about a comprehensive cull of the pest. Over 200,000 rabbits were killed. They directed their energy and resources to restore the farming operations before on-selling Big Hill.
Kereru Station was ﬁrst farmed by their grandfather, James Nelson Williams, who had purchased the property from the New Zealand Government in 1857. From 1865 to 1873 the property was farmed in partnership with Colonel Jasper Herrick who lived on the property and it is understood lived in a farm house alongside the Poporangi stream.
The property was sold in 1875 and had ﬁve further owners before the sisters purchased it.
In 1966 the sisters established two separate charitable trusts to own their interests in the property and these two trusts have continued to farm the property in partnership and develop it into a successful sheep, cattle and cropping property that it is today.
The property is now 2,848 hectares (7,034 acres) and carries [carries] 20,000 stock units. Danny Angland, the present manager is ably assisted by Phil Hensman, Bill Middlemiss, Callum Sutherland and shepherds Danelle Phillips, Tim Sowman (leaving on a Scholarship to Lincoln College) and Daniel Stoddart (restarting).