The death occurred in Napier on June 16, 1948 of Henry Palmer Horne, of “Airlie” Woodville, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Horne, born in 1873, at Brechin, Scotland, he came to New Zealand with his parents in the City of Auckland which was wrecked on the coast of Otaki in October 1878. For a short time they made their home in Waipukurau, moving later to Woodville where he spent the rest of his days. He was always keenly interested in the betterment of the town, being for many years an active member of the Fire Brigade and later a life member. When the Fire Board was formed he was elected chairman. He served as an officer in the Woodville Rifle Volunteers being in the team that won the Coleman Shield. After serving for some years on the Borough Council he was elected Mayor, holding the position for 20 years. During that period he had the honour of receiving the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of York. During the First World War he and Mrs. Horne worked very hard for the welfare of the soldiers and for many years he was chairman of the War Relief Association. When the Dannevirke Electric Power Board was formed he was elected to the Board and had the privilege of turning on the power for Woodville and district. At the time of his death he was the oldest member of the Masonic and Rechabite Lodges. He was always a lover of native birds, flowers and native trees and it was through his efforts that a large area in the Manawatu Gorge was added to the Woodville Domain. He was patron of the Horticultural Society and a member of the Justices’ Association, National Party, Pahiatua Licensing Committee, A. and P. Society, Plunket Society, Crippled Children Society (life member), Chess Club, Red Cross and Bowling Club and until recently was patron of the Manawatu Bowling Centre. He was twice married. His first wife, nee Elizabeth Thomas, passed away in 1922, and he married Ethel Constance Nelson in 1929.
The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. H. S. Manson and Rev. Lamont, there being a large and representative gathering at the church and graveside where a masonic service was conducted by W.M. Bro. E. W. Hutchinson. Left to mourn their loss are his widow, one son, two sisters, Mrs R. H. Croad (Ballance), Mrs W. Cade (Palmerston North) and one brother F. T. Horne (Ballance). Pall-bearers at the church were: Messrs E.W. Hutchinson, H. Snell, C. Forbes, E. J. Harding, A. Curry, M. Murray; at the cemetery; Messrs H. and A. Simmonds, G. Sinclair, R. H. Croad, B. Cade and A. Horne.