HAWKE’S BAY MOTOR COMPANY – extract dates of events.
1903 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co was founded with a capital of 10,000 pounds in one pound shares.
1906 To launch onto the Napier- Taupo Road. Hawke’s Bay Motor Co. bought Crowther and McCauley’s Napier Taupo mail coach service. Early drivers were Harry Hayhow, George White, Billy Wood, and Charlie Jones. (book – Tails of the Mails, by Lester Masters) A trip to Taupo took the best effort of 30 horses – 6 teams of 5, three leaders and two harnessed to the pole. Teams changed at Petane, (now Bay View) Te Pohue, Mohaka, Tarawera, Rangitaiki.|
Hawke’s Bay Motor Co owned and ran hotels at the two last posting houses of Tarawera and Rangitaiki. It took two days to travel from Napier to Taupo.
For nearly 10 years the Hawke’s Bay Motor Co experimented with self-propelled vehicles on the ﬂat. Napier to Taradale service.
1913 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co, on the Napier to Taupo Road launched a 1912 model, 9 seater Cadillac. In good conditions reduced the time to 9 hours at a cost of ﬁve pounds per passenger.
1/9/35 Owner-driver (previously AARD) service, Napier -Taupo sold to Hawke’s Bay Motor Co. and Napier -Wellington service, sold to Newman Bros (North Island Ltd in which, Hawke’s Bay Motor Co had a 40% shareholding. Hawke’s Bay Motor Co ran two cars at the same time to Wairakei as a result of being required to because of having two service licences.
12/5/39 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co brought Kelly’s Taupo Transport Co and R Kelly’s Taupo, Goods Service Licences. Thus entering into the trucking freight service on the Napier Taupo Road.
1/3/43 Gillies Motor Services National Park-Chateau-Taupo service was taken over by the Hawke’s Bay Motor Co. including along narrow Fargo service car. The service car, purpose built, was narrow to be able to cross a narrow bridge near Turangi.
1945 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co side loader service cars (cars with multiple doors along left side) were used on the Napier Taupo Road from about 1946 onwards, only for overloads. (holiday times)
1946 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co sold the Taupo-Putaruru run to Wally Stevens who sold to Tommy Cooper. Tommy sold the run to Charlie Edwards who had the Herald paper run from Auckland. Charlie passed on to the Hawke’s Bay Motor Co the Taupo- Auckland via Matamata run. Kusabs of Rotorua (ARRD) ran from Rotorua to Auckland.
1958 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co disposed of properties at Wairoa, National Park, and Taupo. Taupo section facing the main street, including the garage and ofﬁce, formally Gillies Garage, but retained an adjacent section intending to build a suitable Taupo depot and ofﬁce. Properties still owned were at Napier, Hastings, Taradale and Taupo.
29/11/66 ﬁrst day of “A” coaches combined service through to Auckland. Coaches A1, A2, & A3 were three new AEC’s purchased on 24/ 11/66 for the joint Hawke’s Bay Motor Co – New Zealand Rail Road Service, – Auckland – Hawke’s Bay service. Drivers changing over at Wairakei.
-/2/70 Hawke’s Bay Motor Co purchased – Taupo Scenic Tours and two mini buses.
1/4/70 Mount Cook Lines purchased Luxury Landlines Auckland- Wellington service.