GEORGE AND MARY ANN MAYO
Richmond Palace, Surrey, the home of many early English kings and queens, was almost entirely destroyed in 1649 during Cromwell’s uprising. In the reign of Charles II some repairs were undertaken and the restored buildings were ‘parcelled out in tenements’ as the Royal Family found the place ‘too bleak and cold’ for them to live in.
The Wardrobe in the Old Palace Yard, and the Gateway is all that is left of Richmond Palace.
It was here, at No 8 Palace Lane, Old Palace Yard, that Rebecca and Daniel Mayo, and their four children, John, Sarah, Lucy and baby George, were living in 1841. As Daniel had recently become a coachman, the family moved from No 8, Bath Buildings, Richmond where George was born and where Daniel had been a servant.
Daniel had originally come from Chesham, Buckinghamshire where the Mayo family had lived for more than one hundred and fifty years.
By the time of George’s marriage in 1861, both George and his younger brother, William, were bakers by trade. Their father, Daniel, had become a victualler and publican and the family were no longer living at Old Palace Yard.
George Mayo married Mary Ann Clements Whur on 23 June 1861.
Speculation abounds as to the connection between the Chesham Mayos and the famous Mayo Clinic in USA. It is known that, at the age of twenty-six, William Worrall Mayo left Manchester, England, in 1845 for America. He completed his MD in 1850, and in 1883 launched the first medical group practice – The Mayo Clinic. William died 6.3.1911 at the age of 91 and it was his sons William and Charles who established the Mayo Foundation in 1915.
Research to date has not been able to find a close link between the Manchester Mayos and the Chesham Mayos.
Further in-depth research would, no doubt, set the matter to rest.