Ham’s son, also Andrew Hamilton Russell (later Sir Andrew) but known as Guy, took over the running of his father’s block in 1895 and continued to look after the property (with the aid of managers) until his death aged 92 in 1960.
His grandson, John took over in 1961 and in turn handed over to his sons Andrew and Sam in 1992.
Guy sold 4,000 acres of his block in 1907 when Richard Seddon was in power and aiming to break up the big estates. Further blocks totalling 3,000 acres were sold off over the years, some to men who had managed for Guy, Alec Sinclair, Stan McAulay and Alex Agnew, some to returned servicemen. Some prospered and some failed, one block reverted to Guy during the great depression when the purchaser was unable to pay.
John Russell bought back 700 acres in 1977.
The present house, the second on the site was built in 1913/14 by Phillips and Wright, and cost £10,000. The architect was Mr C.T. Natusch ably assisted by Lady Russell. This house was her second attempt at building a homestead, the first being Little Flaxmere on Omahu Road Hastings.
The house is built on concrete foundations and piles, quite modern for that time. All the timber is native except for windows, exterior doors and the slats holding the rough cast, where cedar was used. The tiles are Marsailles [Marseilles] tiles imported from France as ballast on ships that were coming to collect meat and wool.