[FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.]
February 27, 1899.
This afternoon, at St. Matthew’s Church, the marriage of Miss Gertrude Nelson, daughter of Mr William Nelson, of Tomoana, with Mr Hector Smith, of Olrig, was solemnised, the Ven. Archdeacon S. Williams officiating, assisted by the Rev. J. Hobbs. The wedding was a quiet one, but there was a large number of friends in the church to witness the happy event, amongst whom was the Bishop of Waiapu. The bride was given away by her father, and Mr T. F. Stuart was best man. During the service the “Deus Misereatur” was sung, and the two hymns “How Welcome was the Call” and “Oh, Perfect Love, All Human Thought Transcending.” As the bridal party came from the vestry Mendelsshon’s “Wedding March” was played by Miss Kelly. A very large number of valuable gifts, both useful and ornamental, have been presented to the bride and bride-groom. Mr and Mrs H. Smith are shortly making a tour to England.