Newspaper Article 1954 – Garden Reception at Wharerangi Follows Wedding

Garden Reception At Wharerangi Follows Wedding

More than 500 guests were entertained at a reception in the beautiful gardens at Wharerangi of Mr and Mrs C. E. Nelson Smith, of Olrig following the marriage yesterday afternoon of their elder daughter, Janet Eveleen Mildred, to Richard John, son of Mr and Mrs J. A. Paterson, of Waitui, Marlborough Sounds.

No more picturesque setting could have been found in Hawke’s Bay for the wedding reception, and the guests were entertained on the spacious lawns and under the beautiful trees in the grounds. The wedding breakfast was held in a large marquee on the central lawn which had been converted into a veritable bower of flowers.

The wedding was solemnised in St. Matthew’s Church, Hastings, the officiating minister being Canon Anderson. The service was fully choral and the hymns sung during the service were “Praise My Soul,” “Love Divine” and “The King Of Love.” The church had been attractively decorated with Christmas lilies, white gladioli, white bluebells and pale yellow callas

The bride was escorted into the church by her father. She looked lovely in a gown of pure white finest Chantilly lace over tulle and moonlight satin, with a full skirt falling on to a slight train. The bodice had a scalloped neckline with long sleeves and pointed cuffs. Her fingertip veil of uncut tulle fell from a Juliet cap of the same lace caught at either side with real orange blossom.

The bride was attended by Misses Patsy Nelson Smith, sister of the bride, (chief), Janet Paterson, sister of the bridegroom, and Jean MacKenzie. They were attractive in frocks of waterlily-lemon ruched nylon over tulle and taffeta of the same shade, with fitting bodices and gathered circular skirts, with the fullness falling softly to the back. They wore half-circlets of tiny lemon-coloured flowers and green leaves, and carried bouquets.

The bridegroom was attended by his brother, Mr Robert Paterson, as best man, with Messrs Harry Paterson (a cousin) and Peter Dinwiddie (cousin of the bride) as groomsmen.

On the lawn at the Wharerangi gardens, Mr and Mrs Nelson Smith and Mr and Mrs Paterson received the guests, who had motored from Hastings for the reception. Mrs Nelson Smith wore a Hartnell frock of pure silk in shades of sherry and gunmetal, with a large leghorn hat in the same shade trimmed with pink heather. Her accessories were in gunmetal and pink.

Mrs Paterson wore a frock of navy and white striped Swiss voile, with a deep pink spray, a white hat and white accessories.

The bride travelled in an attractive frock of dusky pink and white spotted straw Shantung made with a full skirt and fitting bodice falling into soft folds at the neckline. She also wore a small coatee of the same material and a large baku straw hat, with black accessories.

Mr and Mrs Paterson’s future home will be at Waitui, Marlborough Sounds.

Original digital file

NE19541208Garden.jpg

Subjects

Date published

9 December 1954

Format of the original

Newspaper article

Publisher

The Daily Telegraph

Acknowledgements

Published with permission of Hawke's Bay Today

Accession number

457882

Do you know something about this record?

Please note we cannot verify the accuracy of any information posted by the community.

Supporters and sponsors

We sincerely thank the following businesses and organisations for their support.